Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes M Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-m-class-16/)
-   -   ML v. X5 (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-m-class-16/ml-v-x5-9944/)

Bryan415 03-08-2006 06:12 PM

ML v. X5

Hey Everyone: This is my first post so, hello. I need some help and suggestions from you all. I'm in the market to buy an SUV and I have narrowed my choices to either an MB or X5? Your comments on these two cars is much apperciated. Thanks!

mbz300sdl 03-08-2006 06:19 PM

RE: ML v. X5

Are you looking at the new ML or the older style cause if it is the older style i would not recommend it. I havent heard anything negative out of the X5 so that might be ur best choice. And if ur talking about the new ML they havent been out long enough for any quircks to come up so thats my opinon.

Bryan415 03-08-2006 06:24 PM

Thank you, Mdz300sdl. Yes, I am considering both the 06 X5 or the 06 MLs. From your post, I take it that you vote for the X5?

K1MOTORSPORT 03-08-2006 10:10 PM

I vote for 06 ML.

mamendola 03-09-2006 12:17 AM

I have been a loyal BMW owner for the past 9 years. I can tell you that from a design standpoint the ML wins hands down. Both interrior and exterrior have been redesigned and I am impressed. I drove both the 06 X5 and an 06 ML350. I put them both through the paces and as far as handeling, cornering, acceleration, etc. The ML held corners just like the X5 with virtually no body roll and the model I drove did not have th eair suspension, which I am told is worth every penny. After debating and comparing the two I ordered the ML350. I have read a number of reviews by respected auto journalists and owner reviews in this forum and in the edmunds.com forum.

The lease on my 03 525i is up in May just in time for delivery of the ML. I believe I have made the right decision.

Good luck in what ever you decide to purchase. I think it is a matter of tast and styling likes. Also, BMW offers 3 years no maintenance where as MB does not.

Mark

Bryan415 03-09-2006 12:50 AM

Mark: Thank you so much for such a detailed response. After debating this issue for over a month, I think I'm going to order the ML. I'm going to test drive it one last time this Saturday, and if I still love it, I'm going to order it. Thank you and everyone who responded.

Bryan

sleepwalker 03-09-2006 02:40 AM

i hate it when customer complaints about their X5 having no brake on the rear and rear air suspension not even or same height.

suspension is just minor but the brake issue is more serious because it involves safety.

once the oil grade start to deteriorate, the rear brakes won't work anymore! i got 5 cases of this.

Freewilly 03-10-2006 09:38 PM

one vote for 06 ML.

X5 is a great SUV, but it's been to the market for too long. When you spend this kind of money, make sure you buy something that has latest technology and style. X5 will change model soon.

AMGMercedes 03-12-2006 12:17 AM

The ML is the better pick, and I'm glad you went with it. Both are great, but BMW plans to redesign the X5 either in 07 or 08 anyways. Who wants an older generation suv?

Speaking of the X5, I know of one around here sitting in a school's tech shop. It fell off its transportation truck, bent the frame a little, has some body damage, and was donated to the schools tech shop. It's considered totalled as of now and has very few miles on it. One of my friends said the tech shop guy might sell it for 3 grand, I'd love to buy it, get a salvaged title by fixing the frame, then just go buy the same color doors from a junk yard X5 of the same year. It would be practically new. If only I had 3 grand or so though...

Bryan415 03-13-2006 03:50 AM

All: Thank you all who responded to my initial post. I did end up buying a 06 ML500. The truck is awesome and I love it! Thanks again!