Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML320 - Need help/advise ... tried almost everything

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 PM
Question ML320 - Need help/advise ... tried almost everything

I have a 1998 ML320 that was running great and started all the time for the last 10 months ... than one day "BOOM" it didn't want to start
After researching online and forums, I have tried just about every suggestion.
Here's what got changed - crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, battery, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter and yes I have gas (full tank) I'm getting fuel pressure and spark.

I only got one key... no remote, just a key
When trying to start it, I noticed the RPM gauge wasn't jumping up and down, like it should. So, I replaced the crankshaft & camshaft sensor and still no go
I checked every connector and wire, making sure nothing was brittle or falling apart.

My questions for the guru's

Does the key need to get re-synced/programmed? Keep in mind, I don't have a remote for keyless entry and I tried some of the suggestions I found online, but it was no go.

Does the radio have to do anything with it? I know it's a dumb question, but the radio was removed by the PO and never replaced.

Any tips or pointing me into a direction of hope would be great!!!

Thanks in Advance ...

Old 10-30-2021, 01:52 AM
Default ml320 key without fob not working

Originally Posted by RCRunner
I have a 1998 ML320 that was running great and started all the time for the last 10 months ... than one day "BOOM" it didn't want to start
After researching online and forums, I have tried just about every suggestion.
Here's what got changed - crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, battery, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter and yes I have gas (full tank) I'm getting fuel pressure and spark.

I only got one key... no remote, just a key
When trying to start it, I noticed the RPM gauge wasn't jumping up and down, like it should. So, I replaced the crankshaft & camshaft sensor and still no go
I checked every connector and wire, making sure nothing was brittle or falling apart.

My questions for the guru's

Does the key need to get re-synced/programmed? Keep in mind, I don't have a remote for keyless entry and I tried some of the suggestions I found online, but it was no go.

Does the radio have to do anything with it? I know it's a dumb question, but the radio was removed by the PO and never replaced.

Any tips or pointing me into a direction of hope would be great!!!

Thanks in Advance ...
I bought a ml320 online and when it got dropped off it would not start for three months.. after trying everything as you did, I went to the dealership and ordered a new key for 53.00. it took a couple days to arrive e, but when I tried it it started right up. the transponder on the original key was burnt out. that's probably why yours won't start. it's an easy fix. good luck