Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Mercedes Ml 320 cylinder 6 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Default Mercedes Ml 320 cylinder 6 misfire

I'am getting a message "Cylinder 6 misfire detected" after checking the couse of "Check engine" light comming on. I cen reset the check engine light but when I suddenly accelerate it will come back and will not go off after restarting the car. When I stop the car and stay on drive car works very uneven but get's better while in park or neutral possition.
Can anybody help me solve this problem.
Thanks Slavek

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Slavek,
How many miles is on your truck?
Spark plugs, ignition wires, coils, injectors, MAF sensor, CPS crank sensor, front o2 sensors.
Let me tell you that I have changed all of these parts before it actually showed the real code for heater circuit in oxygen sensor together with misfire. I could never pass 4,000 RPM without triggering on misfire with cel, had to stop, turn engine off, restart and comtinue to drive. ECM is shotting down the cylinder with misfire, that is why it will run ruff till your next restart and automatic ecm reset.
First check the spark plugs, if they are good, switch coil and wires with one from other side of engine and see, if the same misfire will show up on the other cylinder.
If the misfire will still stay on cyl. no.6, switch left and right oxygen sensor (the ones closer to your engine before catalytic convertors). And now your problem may show up on cylinder at the oposite engine bank.
Good luck,
Bernard

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Default Misfire on hard acceleration.

This is what was replaced on my ML320 to finally fix the same symptoms. New set of front o2 sensors took care of the problem for good and can't simulate it now even if I try to!

Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Ml 320 cylinder 6 misfire-dsc04256.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks Bernard,
Spurk plugs took care of the problem. You were very helpfull.
Now however I have different problem. My 2000 Ml320 189k will act like it needs to corect something and will engage brakes on its own bringing car to a stop. Mercedes daignosticks show bad-"yaw rate sensor" ($570part + $250labor). Do you know if I can get it anywere else beside dealer-stealer. I have visited web sites I usually buy parts from but cen't get it there.
Do you know were it is located in the truck and how to get to it. Some places are very easy to get to if you know what you need to push. I don't won't to brake anything that is why I'am seeking help with somebody of your experience because I have no idea were is it.
Thanks again,
Slavek

Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Slavek,
This sensor is in the steering column under the steering wheel but I don't have any experience with it yet. My truck did this ones on my wife while slight turn on express way ramp about 2 years ago. She turned around and drove home. After reseting the sensor by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock (all the way left to all the way right twice), it never happened again since (2 years now).
Turning of the ETS will disable the function of this switch and the system (unwanted brake application). I would replace the brake pedal switch first ( it is only $12 at dealer) then turn the ETS back on and see, if it will ever act up again.
Good luck,
Bernard

Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Hi, guys, this is my first attempt at getting onto a forum. At this point I was trying to ask a question not give a reply. I have a 1999 ML 320 with 192Kkm on it. There is a growling sound when turn either way starting off from a stand still. Normal when driving at regular speeds. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Eldon

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

It sounds like bad driveshaft support bearing or bone dry chain in the transfer case, if this is going on only onder load taking off. Lay under and try to shake rear driveshaft in the middle to feel play in that support bearing.