Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Mercedes M-Class reliability - how does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Lengthy list, but I've seen worse. The survey excludes brakes as wear items.

Next week we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants. The preview results will be updated as responses come in.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research

Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also, updated reliability stats this month.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research

Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM

We've updated results for the M-Class to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 152, worse than average

2006: 117, worse than average

2000: 132, about average

Very small sample sizes in all three cases, so these results are not precise.

Thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Mercedes-Benz M-Class reliability ratings and comparisons

Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM

We've updated results for the M-Class to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2007: 146, worse than average

2006: 88, about average

Small sample size for the 2007 and very small sample size for the 2006, which likely explains the difference between these results.

Between the two, the 2007 is based on nearly twice as much data so it's more likely to be accurate.

Thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM

We've updated our reliability stats for the M-Class to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2007: 130, worse than average

2006: 106, about average

2000: 133, about average

Small sample size for the 2007 and very small sample sizes for the 2000 and 2006.

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM

We've updated our reliability stats for the M-Class to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2008: 133, worse than average

2007: 144, worse than average

2006: 166, worse than average

2000: 155, worse than average

Small sample size for the 2007 and very small sample sizes for the others, so these results are not precise. But this time aroud they are consistent with one another.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the M-Class (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2008: 117, worse than average

2007: 122, worse than average

2006: 169, worse than average

2000: 152, about average

Small sample size for the 2007 and very small sample sizes for the others, so these our reliability stats are not precise. But they are consistent with one another.

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the M-Class to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2008: 77, worse than average

2007: 51, about average

2000: 108, worse than average on stricter recalibrated scale

Very small sample sizes, so these reliability stats are not precise.

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM

Good work mkaresh, I have an ML350 on order and hope it will be here in March. Reliability and repair costs are my biggest concern with this car. This will be my first Mercedes. I've been reading as much as I can regarding the repair history of an ML350 and I'm getting the impression, as some have actually stated in the forums, that this car is best to get rid of before the warranty is up. A far cry from the reliability of my Subaru. I certainly hope to find this is not the case.

I entered my Subaru on TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information and will be sure to add my experience with the ML350 when I get it.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Thanks, I really do appreciate your help with the survey.

On Mercedes reliability, the current cars might prove more reliable in the long run than past ones. It's too soon to say, but with its quarterly updates this survey will track the cars closely--if we can get enough of them signed up.

Quick Reply: Mercedes M-Class reliability - how does it compare?