Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Exploding glass sunroof on 2 day old ML

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Default RE: Exploding glass sunroof on 2 day old ML

I just had this exact same thing happen to me with my 2006 CLS500. I was driving down I-10 at about 78 mph. ~50 outside, 70 inside. Sunroof was shut tight. I was talking with my wife on the handsfree, just cruising along. No traffic in front of me, to the side or even behind, and no overpass, etc. I didn't see anything fly at me, bounce, jump, etc.

All of a sudden a large BOOM !! followed by the sound of rushing air and crackling glass. I told my wife I had to hang up and pull over. When I did and got out I saw a large oval hole (~5" x 10") in the center of the sunroof, with the remaining edges pushed up and out, and crackled to the edges, just as described above. Fortuantely I had the sunscreen closed at the time, although little shards started fall through the vents once I stopped. Even worse was that the glass flying off and back scratched the back half of the roof, the trunck and spoiler. I wish I had the foresight to take a picture with the phone![:@]

I called the mercedes dealer, Brumos Motors, and they were very helpful. They asked if I could make it to thier location before they closed at 7:00. It was about 5:15 Friday evening, and Iwas a little over an hour away, so told them I could. I found an old jacket on the side of the road, and used it to grab and remove most of the remaining glass pieces so they wouldn't fly off and do further damage. I really wish I took a picture! I drove to Brumos, (boy was that a loud ride) and they had a loaner car waiting for me. I asked them if this happens often, and they commented they had not heard of thisbefore. They need to read this forum!

Anyway, I explained what happened, and it sounds like they will cover the damage under warranty. I was hoping that wouldn't by a problem, but anticipated the worst. I just bought the car less than a month ago under the certified used car program and it had ~15,000 miles. This was my first real trip on an interstate with the car - and one I won't soon forget!!

I'll post back and let you all know the results once the dealer techs take a look at it on Monday. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 PM

05 ML350 same thing, only thing differenthappend in the garage

Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM

I wanted to update you all on my '06 cls500. Brumos Motors here in Jacksonville said everything would be covered by Mercedes under warranty. It has taken a couple of days to get the sunroof in, and then they will handle the paint, etc. I'm in a loaner, so no big deal.

Freak occurance - but if it was going to happen I'm glad it was in a Mercedes!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Wow, just had this happen on my 2001 CL55. Pop and it appeared that it had been shot out from inside the car. Interesting enough, the shade was closed. Now I get to pay $1750.00 to replace it.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Don't worry, Mercedes Benz officials are very aware of this forum and our daily problems with their creations. I would say that the glass they use is actually too good, overtempered (too hard) and that is why this happenes. Sorry and I just hope that my sunroof won't do that.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Default Sunroof explosion

This same thing happened to us. We have an E Class Mercedes with 37,000 miles, under full warranty. My daughter and I were driving, maybe 15mph at the most. We heard what sounded like a shot gun blast. It was our sunroof!!!! Like the others, the sunroof was blown UP, convex, as though it was blown from the inside out. The glass was intact but in zillions of tiny pieces. We drove to the Mercedes Dealership as it was only a couple of miles away. BUT, THIS IS WHERE THE SIMILARITIES STOP!!!! The dealership would not stand behind it. They said "an acorn" hit it!!!!! Yes, all $1100.00 damage was done by a single acorn, and NOT a warranty issue. They would not give us a loaner, we had to rent a car while they fixed the sunroof. We bought a Mercedes for safety reasons, but if a single acorn can do that much damage...
Had we not been afraid to drive the car, we would have taken it ANYWHERE else but this Mercedes Dealership.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Default Cl600

My car is a 2007 CL600 with 40,000 kms.
Nice day today, and boom, sun roof exploded.
I thought something had been dropped on the car, but after inspecting the damage it appears that the sunroof has exploded out.
Back of car is scratched similar to other posts.
Fortunately, no one hurt and Mercedes is picking up the car tomorrow for repair.
I have found MB to be very outgoing on service and expect this to be remedied under warranty.
Will report back when work is completed.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 AM

I just experienced the same thing in my 2009 CLK. I was on a freeway offramp when I heard an explosion that sounded like a gun went off in the car. I pulled over to see if I could tell what just happened and found my sunroof exploded with the safety glass all crackling but still held together. The cracks were buckling outward as if pressured from the inside out. The dealership is saying the factory rep has to come out and make the decision as to whether they will cover the cost of replacement. Every service advisor I've spoken to there claims to never have seen anything like this before, but obviously from this thread I am far from the only one to have this experience.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM

Oh Fakla, don't let them tell you that....... You need to copy all of these posts, and take it to them. I am still sooooooooo suprised, that Mercedes doesn't even try to answer any of these posts. The dealership here just doesn't care. I wish you the best. Good Luck!!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 PM

After a bit of a battle, my dealership's service manager did cover the cost of repair on the sunroof. The factory rep initially denied coverage so I had to fight for it, with the help of these reports. He called it a "one -time good will repair". I don't see it as a goodwill repair as much as it seems to happen, but I'll take it. Thanks to all of you for making it known that this problem exists. I hope the corporate suits become aware of what is going on in the trenches.

Quick Reply: Exploding glass sunroof on 2 day old ML