Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes G and GL Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-g-gl-class-17/)
-   -   Looking at '80 280GE (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-g-gl-class-17/looking-80-280ge-19503/)

82shaginwagon 04-10-2007 09:50 AM

Looking at '80 280GE

While looking for a replacement for my DD I came across a 1980 280GE. I know nothing about these vehicles but have always loved the way they look. I have a Land Cruiser so I can appreciate a vehicle like this. This was brought overfrom Germany by the current owner (one yr ago)and is legal. He has put 10K kilometers on it in the last yr. Has 219K kilometers (is that 135K miles?), locking dif, new MT's, 8K winch, 4 sp manual, 3" lift, full roof rack and a snorkel. It has not been used off road, was sold to current owner (used MB dealer) after mods were done. It still has all orginal drive train with no rebuilds. It has been repainted (yellow and blue, eek) and has one rust bubbleabove a wheel well.I would assume if he says there is one rust bubble I can find a couple more. Underneath, floor, frame are clean.This is all by verbal description and one photo ad, looks good in the photo.It would be a 4 hour drive to look at it.I am clue less on value so can someone give me a ball park of what this is worth? Thanks Much!!

mudcedes 04-11-2007 10:24 AM

RE: Looking at '80 280GE

Sounds like a nice G. Check to make sure it has both front and rear lockers. Some (very few) left the factory with only rear lockers. Mine has only rear lockers and its still a beast off road, but you could use it as a negotiating point anyway. Kelly Blue Book value for your truck is between 11-14K. However, the market for G's is usually much higher than Kelly. Actually, most G's sell for the CPI (Cars of Particular Interest) Black Book value which is between 20-25K for the long wheel base and short wheel base hard tops, and up to almost 30K for the cabrios. These values are based on STOCK vehicles. Considering all the mods you listed, If the body is in good shape I think anything south of 20K would be an exceptional deal. The problem is financing. Because most banks will only lend 80% of Kelly or NADA value, you'll probably only get 8K against it. I had the best luck with Capital One. They'll go up to 20K on a person to person sale without looking at the collateral if you have exceptional credit. Just my opinions. Good Luck.

82shaginwagon 04-11-2007 01:58 PM

Thanks for the input!
He was at $11,900, now at $9,900.
I think the color scares most away. It was originally red which is what I would bring it back to if I bought it.

mudcedes 04-11-2007 09:58 PM

WOW. The accessories alone are worth almost that much retail including installation expense. Nice find.