Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid change - help please

Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Banned
Default RE: transmission fluid change - help please

04 can you check the level on the dash read out?If not and you still have the 00 dipstick it is the same 722.6 tanns so you can check the level.Engine to temp and running.
Ohlord

Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Here in Mexico the MB dealers recomends a trans fluid change every 60k kms. I has just done it at the local dealer. Now the car has rough shifts between 1st and 2nd speed. The car has the 7 speed trans. The dealer says they will check the tranny to see what happened. But getting back to the subject of this threat, I saw the old oil coming out of the transmission when the were doing the job, it was like a thick black jelly, ugly as hell. This car has 68k miles. Change trans fluid is a good way to avoid a really big and expensive future problem. Go to the dealer and use the MB oils and filters.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 PM

If the trans fluid was like "thick black jelly" something is likely wrong!!

The trans does not have to cope with carbon products due to combustion -- so why is it black?
Without seeing / analysis either some form of addititve is presernt in the OE oil that colours it black (normal MB trans fluid for the 722.6 is Cherry Red), somebody has added an additive or something terrible is going on within the box. Maybe Moly was used during initial assembly?

Have no idea what the recommendation is on the 7 speed but I challenge the statement that MB NOW recommend changing the oil prior to 100k MILES.
Maybe MB USA do but why would MB make such a statement only covering the USA other than to fit with USA Custom and Practice (Maybe the low cost of oil relative to ROW has something to do with it?)

I wonder if anybody can actually find a MB (Europe / Germany) recommendation that states anything other than filled for life on the 722.6

Changing the oil and then immediately experiencing SHIFT problems seems to validate my position!

Stuart.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Banned

Tons of dealers over here are now offering the service and indie shops also and a lot of diy owners.If done properly with the new filter and gasket and mb spec fluid to the proper level,the transmission really responds with much better shift quality and reaction.
The black color is the graphite(carbon) used in the clutches and bands and when it gets bad enough can cause problems with the input and output turbine speed sensors and that means pulling the valve body.Much cheaper if you want the trans to last to do the trans drain and fill and enjoy it for far far more miles than mercedes ever expected for its lifetime filled transmissions.

MBmex has the w211 and he knows now that that was a mistake and if he has shift problems it is either the dealer did not do it correctly or the trans was going before the change.

I can point out myriads of owners who thought it was time for a new transmission and after having or doing the fluid change are happily shifting down the road.The 722.6 can use either the 5speed or 7 speed fluid,the 7 speed 722.9 can only use the 7 speed fluid.mb spec only.
ohlord
btw owners from Australia and other countries in far flung corners of the world report the dealers telling them the tune has changed on the lifetime fluid and bring it in for service.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 AM

IOhlord,

I do not disagree with what you have stated BUT unless something is wrong I still come from the school of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...at least up to 100k +.

I have myself posted that a change of fluiod CAN sometimes fix all sorts of hanging on to gears etc problems but routine change is in my view OOT.

I await a response to my challenge. I wish to learn be educated.

Stuart

Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned

The dealers and shop over here recommend 60k or abouts simply because by 100 k miles is when problems show up.100 k is to long to wait for automatic fluid.Even the mb spec stuff
ohlord
*see this recent post by member '91 300CE on benzworld.org*

"There was a service bulletin put out about this not too long after the statement they made about "sealed for life". Sealed for life means "sealed until it fails" (sometimes from not replacing fluid".
My dealer recommended it as soon as I brought the car in to them at 52k miles."[/align]

Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Ohlord,
There is NO tranny dipstick tube in the '04 and there is also no in-dash fluid level read out. From what my mechanic has researched one must use a thermo sensor gun that must be aimed at the transmission after the transmission has been re-filled and it must read 60/C running temp at a certain height on the pan! What is MB afraid of!!!! Mine is fine, Thankgoodness!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:33 AM

Hi Ohlord.

I like your...Sealed for life means "sealed until it fails".!! Not so sure about this bit however ...."(sometimes from not replacing fluid". I guess its all in the word "sometimes"!

The dealer would recommend changing the oil wouldn't they. Nice little earner. Trans oil change is not on the European service sheet even at 100k MILES.

I guess I will have to agree that DONE CORRECTLY changing the oil can't be a BAD thing except for its impact on your budget.

Gas has now gone thru 10 USD per Imp Gallon in the UK. i.e. 8 USD per US gallon.

Stuart

Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Changing fluid ,filter,gasket and all supplies maybe 300bucks,not doing it and frying a 722.6 trans 3-8 thousand depending who does it and dealer gets 6 grand for a new 722.6.There object is change the fluid if you want however they more then likely would rather see it fail and replace it for over 8 thousand dollars or sell you a new car.
ohlord

Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Automobiles are constructed in order to sell to the first buyer. He's supposed to turn it in for another new one after three or four years. That many cars are now lasting a decade-and-a-half is a huge burr under the saddle of the makers. A salesman telling a customer on the showroom floor, standing next to a glistening, prepped, detailed and scratchless new car that the transmission fluid is "lifetime", "maintenance-free", "permanent" or any other hyperbolic descriptor is only doing his job- which is to sell the car.
When a manufacturer starts believing their own advertising, and that advertising makes a media star of their product lasting a quarter-million (etc.) miles (etc.), is about the time they realize they probably should have begun painting the floor from the wall furthest from the door.
Daimler, BMW, Volvo and Borgward have produced some very, very well-designed cars. Most especially to those in places like the United States, where the build level was for so many decades a point of union contract and ease of labor for those union members instead of customer satisfaction over customer dazzlement (also fully understood by British Leyland vict.... er, customers), this edge in quality not only amazed customers, but brought about in them a sense of pride previously unknown in car ownership- consequently, they took better care of an automobile which took better care of them, and didn't need a parts recovery net affixed to its underside after two-and-a-half years.
The cruel reality is that if it moves, it wears. If it's built a bit stronger, it wears a bit more slowly. But there are no "lifetime" features -unless, by "lifetime", they mean that it works until it's dead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission fluid change - help please