Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Default Rust

I have recently bought a 98 e320. It has spent all its life in the Northern Ohio. It has some minor rust on the fenders, but the bigger concern for me is the upper spring perch on the suspension on the passenger's side is about to break. Does anybody know what to do? Can it be simply be welded back? The reasearch suggests this is a problem with these cars. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Rust

The spring perch is available as a spare part pretty cheap. Depending on mileage and service record on the car, you may want to contact your Mercedes Dealer or local Mercedes Rep. It may be possible to get M-B to conteibute to the cost of this repair because it is a safety issue.
The repair consists of removing the suspension on at least that side, drilling out the spot welds that attach the perch, cleaning up the mating surface if it is not badly compromised by rust, and welding on a new perch. Ideally this should be done on a Celette Bench to properly locate the perch. If the mating surface is severly rusted, you have a more serious problem. Sometimes the frame rail can be patched if the rusted area is very small, but if the rust is major, the frame rail should be replaced.
Also, it would be a good idea to check the other side to make sure it is not also about to fail.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Default RE: Rust

Thank you for the information. I called the M-B dealership and they acted like this is the first E-series with rust issues or rotten coil perches. They are also saying that M-B will not offer any kind of an extended warranty. I got an estimate for the coil perch and replacing the rusted sheet metal behind it, $800. The other rusty spots they are going to fix and repaint for $500. This is my first M-B. I have had several Jags and BMWs, they don't come close. The lesson is not to buy Northern cars that have not been taken care of.