Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quest for a decent sound system

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Default Quest for a decent sound system

Well, this isn't “Pimp my ride”, but maybe it will give some others ideas on how to upgrade an old MB sound system.

Originally, I was going to put back in the original Becker radio and go with the factory set-up. However, the ******** who put in the Clarion radio and companion CD changer, pretty much dashed my hopes in that scenario. I'm told the factory MB speakers run about 2 ohms, so that causes ruthless installers to jury rig (if using original speakers) to try and match impedance. What a nightmare when we looked into things....plus the MB amp had disappeared (the Becker is just a radio/cassette player preamp with no amp). So.... since the ohm rating on the MB speakers is basically unusual with most other modern amps (and they're old paper units), I decided to replace everything. Too bad, because I still have a Nak home pro deck that records in Dolby C and the Becker plays back in Dolby C & B.

I came onto some pretty good deals; Kenwood KDC-X791 CD-Receiver, Rockford Fosgate T1523 mid-tweet 5 1/4” set with crossovers, Alpine SPS-400 4” coaxials. The mids go in the front doors, the tweeters in the dash with a steel strap and the coaxials in the back doors. Clarion CD changer goes bye-bye and a defunct medium these days anyway-almost as bad as cassettes.

I have a '92 300TE 4matic wagon, so I'm not junking up this great car with subs God-knows-where. All the stuff was on sale and I'm about $650 into it so far without an install. I'm still debating if I want to do it myself or not-cost of install about $380-gonna be a whoring job to figure out what was previously done and what has to be done now. If I knew for sure he'd do it correctly, I'd gladly pay him.

This I think is a reasonably priced system, that while not the best it could be, certainly better than the original with Ipod capability, satellite capability, CD changer capable (if desired), 24 bit D/A converter, MP3 capable and a USB port.

Kevin