Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pesky messages

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Default Pesky messages

I have a 2004 E320. I am a DIY
How do I erase/reset the pesky messages that keep popping up at startup even after service has been performed?
Like:
"brake service required" (I've changed brakes and wear sensors)
"service required exceeded by xxxx miles",etc
I'm also getting a red battery-"visit workshop".. display, checked the battery and alternator and they work/read fine, any ideas?
Thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 AM

basic, low level diagnostic trouble codes may be resettable using a higher grade OBDII
code reader. some require advance level code diagnostic tool such as those with
software and laptop combination. high level DTC are only done at the dealer (or indy)
using the SDS multiplexor.

i think brake can be done by good ODBII reader.

i'm guessing that by the time 2004 rolled around, the service required msg is dealer/SDS

DTC algorithm is usually set up to react only when the trouble has been detected on numerous
occasion, so as not to display false positives. thereafter, if the condition has been fixed,
the system may reset itself (turn off msg) only after x number of miles and/or Y number of
days.

i'm a DIYer so i'm not an expert on these things. but I do read the forums. here is a good
source of DTCs. within the first dozen pages is primer on how DTC are polled, interrogated,
displayed, and extinguished.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/dloads/...user_guide.pdf

Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Default Pesky messages

Thanks Raymond
I'll check out what you're suggested.
I'm looking for a way to get into Command from the dash display and steering wheel buttons.
A while back a tech at MB showed me how, but I forgot... something about the doors closed, key in ignition to #2? position, pressing the reset button. and something else and then the deeper menu appears...???
Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM

How did you check the battery? When was the last time you replaced it, and what did you replace it with? You'd be surprised what a failing battery can cause on these cars.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 PM

there is no tool to erase brake messages, its either the pad wear indicator or in your case with the 2004 E you might have a bad stop lamp switch or a defective SBC brake unit that should be covered under warranty.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Default Pesky messages 2004 E320

Took it to Advance Auto Parts and they hooked up a reader directly to the battery, apparently it reads battery condition and alternator output. The battery read 600 cold amps and 1000 cranking amps, cells read ok. The alternator performed well at idle, rev-up and a/c - bright lights load. Unless MB measures something else? or does it different?
The brake wear sensors were replaced when I did the brakes, funny, there's only one for the rear.
Is there still any warranty left on a 2004?
Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM

there is warranty for the SBC brake unit, but your car is out of the factory warranty. the battery light could be just an auxillary battery. ive seen people drive with that battery warning on for years. most of the benzs now only have 1 brake wear sensor on the back.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by chassis221
there is no tool to erase brake messages, its either the pad wear indicator or in your case with the 2004 E you might have a bad stop lamp switch or a defective SBC brake unit that should be covered under warranty.
thanks, chassis. i shouldn't try to type so early in the morning

Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Default Thanks

You're right Chassis... there is the aux battery... I'll get it checked.
I guess that I'll have to fork over the $$$$$ to the MB screwshop to get the messages erased.
Thanks for all of ya'lls help.
I like this forum.
Regards