Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes E Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/)
-   -   Knocking noise from the front end... (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/knocking-noise-frnt-end-193/)

rostov 08-27-2003 04:49 PM

Knocking noise from the front end...

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I have 1994 E320.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I am getting a knocking noise (not loud) from the front at ~ 30-50 mph. The density of knocking is related to the speed and it's faster then wheel spin. I have new front brakes (rotors/pads), new struts; There is no play in the steering wheel and the rest of the suspensions looks good. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Another thing, I amnot sure if it's related, - the speedometerarrow is jumping in tact with that knocking (I think).<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">What could it be?! <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Thank you,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Val.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

</P>

Mark Cummins 08-29-2003 02:10 AM

Inspect the front lower control arm bushings...They WILL cause the noise your hearing!

rostov 08-29-2003 12:33 PM

Thank you Mark,</P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">You are right - that was my first thought. I had this problem on my bimmer befor. So I did check all this components - everything looks good. After I took my car to the shop and they didn't find anything, I decided to rotate the tires - noise was gone, but the car started to pull to the right! I took it to the wheel shop to check wheels and tires for damages - waiting for result!</SPAN></P>

Thank you,</P>

Val.</P>

P.S. The tires are new, but it's GoodYear - that could be a problem!</P>

gstigler 11-26-2003 12:57 AM

I would bet that your car is out of alignment and the tires now have abnormal wear. Even after you have an alignment performed, the problems will persist due to the worn tires. At least this was the case with my car.</P>

</P>

</P>

Javelin220 11-26-2003 09:04 PM

I agree with gstigler, I had the identical problem.</P>

Attila</P>

gstigler 11-27-2003 11:38 AM

My car had 6 month oldGoodyear regatta tires. The tread looked new to the untrained eye. The shop showed me the uneven wear around the circumference of the tire. </P>

I'd be interested to hear if this were a problem common to Goodyear tires.</P>

Geoff - No Benz yet</P>