Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes E Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/)
-   -   Gas Fumes after Re-fill ??? (e500) (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/gas-fumes-after-re-fill-e500-42126/)

mrdoiron 04-13-2010 08:19 PM

Gas Fumes after Re-fill ??? (e500)

I have strong gas fumes coming from the vehicle - most obvious in garage "after refilling" it is very evident, and also inside the cabin... after driving for a while and fuel drops ~1/8th of a tank and the problem goes away...(until next refill).

I heard something about a "flex tube" being a weak point, it is located right in front of an air inlet for the interior...however I'm not sure exactly what this is referring to - or if it is even the possible source to the problem, or something else ?
I also saw an 07' thread mention it could be part of the fuel evaporative system or gas tank venting system. Referencing a filter/canister and hose plumbing located in the driver's side rear wheel well area (behind a panel ?)...inferring that this system gets clogged or canister filter needs replacing - as it vents gas tank fumes into trunk and wheel well area, which seeps into the car interior.

Can anyone help who may have experience here ?

thanks, mike

mrdoiron 04-13-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mrdoiron (Post 135007)
I have strong gas fumes coming from the vehicle - most obvious in garage "after refilling" it is very evident, and also inside the cabin... after driving for a while and fuel drops ~1/8th of a tank and the problem goes away...(until next refill).

I heard something about a "flex tube" being a weak point, it is located right in front of an air inlet for the interior...however I'm not sure exactly what this is referring to - or if it is even the possible source to the problem, or something else ?

Can anyone help who may have experience here ?

thanks, mike

PS: it is an 04 if that helps pinpoint anything unique... thx

fyberglass 04-20-2010 06:55 PM

I have an 05 e320 and it did the same every time I fill her up. Brought it to the dealership and was told that a gasket needs to be replaced. After replacing it, it worked fine until 5-6 months later, the fumes came back especially when its parked in the garage and now i can smell it from the inside of the car. We brought it back to the dealership and was told that they need to replace the gas tank! Good thing we have the extended warranty to cover the cost.

Its been only 2 days since the repair... i'll update this post if the smell of gasoline comes back.

Goodluck!

allenhibbs 04-20-2010 07:07 PM

remove the seat cusion bottom from the rear seats. release buttons are felt at far left and right bottom of seat cusion. cusion then pulls out. you will see 2 access ports at left and right. unscrew covers with 8mm wrench. more than likely this is where you leak is located. most commonly the 2 rubber seals for the sending units leak. if a lot of fuel is seen within the tops of the sending units the seals should fix the problem. very common on 2005 year for the roll over vent valve on the top of the fuel tank to crack. only repair for this is a new fuel tank unfortunately. i have also seen cracked sending unit that were leaking.

03RSTT 08-25-2010 04:22 PM

Everyone,

E55 owners are having a serious problem with gas leaking from the gas tank after fill ups.

The E class models 2003-2006 may have a similar design and you may wish to check your cars. I noted a simple process to check your fuel tank assemblies for potential leaks in this thread.

Please post your data and evidence here in the E class thread to keep all the different vehicles in the right place.

Good luck with it.

northbeachfilms 10-02-2010 06:36 AM

I have this same problem with my 380 SEL. When I open the windows, it does not help. Fumes go away when the tank is less than half full.

Also need to replace the fuel filter, I found a good website with instructions on how to release the pressure, and replace. But where is the fuel filter? I have been crawling about underneath and don't see it-- Thanks