Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thing about buying a 85 300d turb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Arrow Thing about buying a 85 300d turb?

Hi there. This is my first post and I have soo many questions.

I work at a revolutionary biodiesel plant (first of its kind). I hold a respectable position (lead operator / engineer) and make anywhere between 15,000 to 20,000U.S. gal of biodiesel during my shift (12 hours).

The problem is that I have never driven a diesel car or truck in my life and after a year of working at this revolutionary job I find it quite...saddening.

SO! last weekend a cute little Mercedes 1985 300d turbo diesel (w123 chassis)parked itself next to my house and two days after that a for sale sign popped up on its windshield. The lady who is selling it is asking $2,200 for it and claims that it is veggie oil and biodiesel ready.

"Well that is too good to be true" I tell myself.

After meeting with the lady I come to find out that she has purchased the car 4 years ago and she takes it to the local Mercedes dealer whenever she needs something done to it (oil changes, starting problems, temporary fixes,battery changes, more oil changes) the list goes on for 15 recites or so. The car has 233K on the odometer. The outside is in fare condition, the inside is in fare condition, minus anything that has to do with a internal handle.

She sticks the key in the ignition

Warms the plugs up (you have plugs that need to be warmed up...diesel much?)

And starts the car up.

The thing sounds like a type writer. It settles right into idle and justsits at 500 rpms without moving up or down one step.

I’m panicking inside because I’m looking for a reason not to buy this car and it is not giving me one so at this point I'm willing to send it to a third party diesel mechanic and have it checked out.

So I ask Siri were the nearest mechanic is and she says its one street behindmy house. I call the guy and he says he will look at the car but only if it is a Mercedes diesel, apparently that is all he works on.

(“To good to be true” just doesn’t quite describe it at this point)

I take it over to the mechanic and 240 dollars later I get the news I havebeen looking for.

The Good:

Engine seems sound compression and valves are good
Transition is sound everything shifts well and tight
No rust on hood spring drain cavities
Breaks are in perfect condition
Radiator and coolant are in good condition
Oil radiator is new
Air filter is not contaminated with oil

The bad

Needs a rear right axle
oil cooler lines are weeping
Oil pan is dented so badly he is surprised it hasn’t damaged the oil pump
Oil coating underside of the chassis
fuel filters are dirty
windows do not work
sun roof is jammed a bit
cruse control does not work and is unplugged
exhaust vacuumed valve is unplugged
thin coat of oil on...everything

So the question is. Is it worth it?

The mechanic said it was in good shape and would be hard to find a diesellike it for the price.

But I'm looking for reliability and problem free driving. The problem is that I have no idea what I am doing or what to look for. Apart from looking at some videos online I hardly know anything about the car besides the fact that it gets decent MPG and the engine is rated to last forever.

So any thoughts? Right now I am leaning towards buying it.

Last edited by recon chris; 04-11-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Just a few other things to add to Forced"s comment.
Will this be your only vehicle? = You will have down time on it.
Where are you located? = If you live in the snow belt they are not the greatest on icy roads, on snow decent. Nice to jump into An AWD or 4WD when needed. Also cold weather starts on a tired engine is a real pain.
Are you ready to spend one day every other month looking things over, changing filters etc.
You have already indicated a need for work that will likely cost as much as the purchase price or close.
On the plus side, that 85 300d is very straight forward to work on as that is what I have now, and has given me great service, and enjoyment along with reasonably good economy. I went from a Ford Ranger as a DD to the 85 MB and has paid for itself in what I have saved on my fuel card. I did keep the Ford for when needed though, as it is 4WD, and couldn't be without that.