Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes E Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/)
-   -   E320 Gas Guzzler? (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/e320-gas-guzzler-36102/)

jerusdavid 04-17-2009 08:32 PM

E320 Gas Guzzler?

I just bought a 2001 E320 with 76000 miles it has the 3.2 liter engine.

Beautiful car super clean...

It seems like it's a gas guzzler, I'm getting about 22 mpg on the highway right now. Have yet to take a long trip. Just went to work today (5 mile ride) and watched the needle move!!

Any advice?

chassis221 04-18-2009 10:52 AM

use premium gas first of all. it burns more efficiently and is recommended and also change your air filter and increase your tire pressures and take excess baggage out of the trunk. also that car should have continentals or michelin tires. alignment can slightly affect fuel economy if its not aligned correctly since the tires might not be rolling as smoothly and straight. also usung the correct oil could affect fuel. use synthetic. 0w40 or 5w40 mobil 1.

jerusdavid 04-18-2009 01:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using premium and I pulled out the air filter, it looks brand new, also went and aired up my tires. You are right, it has 16" michelins all the way around. The trunk is cleaned out except for the cd player and some cleaning agents.

Still seems like i'm getting worse gas mileage than my previous cars an 86 300E and a 91 LS400.

Since you are certified to you know how to use the shift on these things? It has an automatic, but you can also shift manually like a slapstick? Haven't used it yet, but someone told me I could get better mpg if I did.

chassis221 04-18-2009 01:41 PM

i cant say youd get better mileage but you can use it just by moving it left or right. i guess you could use it to shift up one more gear to acheive better fuel economy at times when criusing, but the fuelmilage i doubt will change any at all. if anything i would think it would increase milage.

aardvark 04-20-2009 04:44 PM

Mileage sounds normal.
The best I ever got was on a road trip @ 28mpg, with my 96 E-320. That was at 70mph for hours on end. Around the general area, which is semi rural (heavy traffic, but runs from town to town), I get 18-20mpg, and am pleased with it.

Come on man, This is a 2 ton automobile, not a 1 ton econobox.

You also haven't mentioned your driving style, what kind of highway driving (city congestion vs country open driving), and 5 miles from work only gets the car up to full temp by 1/2 that distance.

Aardvark

Scuddog 04-23-2009 05:22 PM

Keep trying

You may need a tune up. Who knows? Use good gas, keep the oil changed regularly, keep the tires inflated properly, clean air filter...

You have the same engine that I do. I achieve 26 MPG in mixed driving, usually around 24 in city driving and 30+ MPG on the highway. These figures are consistent and I'm the 5th owner of this car. It had sludge etc before. Keep treating your car right and your mileage may improve.

Check the plugs. Good luck!

Scuddog

aardvark 04-24-2009 09:45 PM

Scuddog
Jerusdavid

I had read the 98 model did a little better in milage than my 96. I have the inline 6 engine, and it meets milage specs from the old reviews I have read. It has dropped very slight. Curb weight is 3700lbs (as I recall). I don't baby the car in driving style.
I do however keep after the basics in repair and maintenance.
So maybe I am incorrect about the 2001 model.
Actually what impresses me, is my 190E never got the mileage that this heavier car with 2 more cylinders pumping is getting.

Aardvark

topspn 04-26-2009 08:28 PM

98 e320

FYI, I just picked up a 98 E320 with 75,000 on it and drove it to DC from SC. I averaged about 68 mph and I got 30 mpg on the trip. We'll see how it is around town.

Regards

Scuddog 04-27-2009 05:03 PM

That's about right

Sounds about right to me. The mileage is great on the highway. Use premium fuel and keep up with the maintenance / tire pressure to help ensure the best mileage possible.

jerusdavid 04-27-2009 06:49 PM

Thanks for the input. It's getting closer to 24 mpg now with the higher pressure in the tires, I will be taking a long trip this Saturday so I will get to see what it will really do on the highway.