Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers' side power window and seat failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Default Drivers' side power window and seat failure

I have a 1998 E320 wagon that has an issue with the drivers' side power window and electric seat operation. Both failed at the same time. The problems seems to be intermittent. What is unique about the situation is that both the power window and seat controllers fail together. The Dealer has replaced the driver's side window controller...within two days the problem resurfaced. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know what to check?

Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Default RE: Drivers' side power window and seat failure

there is a common problem with the rear door window regulators in either the left rear door or the right rear door.(usually the right rear door from my experience)remove the door panels and unplug the window motor and then see if the seats and window start working...this is just what first comes to mind but problem could be something else too..but the symptoms point to the window motors. just leave it unpluged and drive the car and see if the problem is fixed. I bet its a bad window motor. get back to me about it. thanks. i just noticed you said you have a wagon...ive never seen this on a wagon before usually only on a sedan but it could be the same problem..also check the plug connections under the driver seat to make sure they are good too.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:54 PM

Hello!
I recently acquired a 1992 W124 300te. I have been working on fixing all the small issues. At the present time I cannot get the front driver side seat to move with the switch. So far I have done the following:

1. Replaced the under seat module - (confirmed the motors are working)
2. Replaced the door switch (3 different switches)

IF I short out the wires that feed the switch the seat will move. I'm guessing that there should be continuity on the switch. thoughts........

Old 09-15-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Schuetz
Hello!
I recently acquired a 1992 W124 300te. I have been working on fixing all the small issues. At the present time I cannot get the front driver side seat to move with the switch. So far I have done the following:

1. Replaced the under seat module - (confirmed the motors are working)
2. Replaced the door switch (3 different switches)

IF I short out the wires that feed the switch the seat will move. I'm guessing that there should be continuity on the switch. thoughts........
Hello Bruce and welcome to the forum! I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on the W124 power seats - I hope you find this article useful and are able to troubleshoot/resolve the issue. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Mercedes-Benz W124 Power Seat Control Switch Replacement | 1986-1995 E-Class | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanks, but I have already replaced the switch and it still is not working. Ive replaced the brain and the switch. By shorting out the plugs that are located in the door I can get the seat to move in all directions. I just cant get it to move with the switch. I have also confirmed now that there is in fact continuity in the switch itself. Any other ideas?