Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Default RE: Check engine light

Ohlord.

Led with your chin there!!

The response will likely be ......HOW do they access the OBD AC diagnostics by model / type / age etc!!

Over to you!

Stuart.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
HBZ

HiOlord and thanks a million. I follow up your write ups religesly. I have saved boundle of money from people like you who posts their experienec on the MB forum. The car is 2001 E320, 4matic. I have been in Harbor Tools, but for the reader. AdvanceAuto read the codes, P0173, P0300 and P0303, mentioned above. I will try to clean MAF first and let you know what happen. AdvnceAuto has a spary for cleaning up the MAF. Should I clear the codes after I cleaned it up? The engine light sometimes is on and sometimes off. One more thing, the pixcell displays on the cluster arerealy (clock) bad, the outside temp reader reads weard numbers like 120 when it is 80 outside. The shift disply shws bad letter (P, D, R, etc.) I read on the forum that there is a place which can fix the cluster. I can not find it anymore. Any idea?

Thanks, alot. HBZ

Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

CRC brand maf cleaner.check that the temp sensor is plugged in,it is alittle nib shaped probe located in the slots in the bumper by the drivers side fog lamp.Bad pixels,look up the post on mbworld.org w210 forum.
Clear the codes after the cleaning,and make sure you handle it the way it instructs you,never touch the fragile wire`and the electrical component.
ohlord

Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
HBZ

Thanks Ohlord. I was reading the mbworld.org since I sent you the email. A lot of good tips. You are a champ. I let you know.

HBZ

Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 AM

Clear CEL and fault codes when you clean the MAF. 50% this will overcome your problem. If not its a new MAF.

Digital display issues are likely due to poor internal connection of Gear/Temp display in Instrument Cluster. Common problem. Several places repair (however very expensive).
If you are "handy" pooir connection is a DIY job.
Someday I need to go a step by step guide but its common sense really. Maybe a guide on MBWorld. Strip edge connector doesn't seat correctly. However occasionally the display itself is faulty rather than the connection.

Stuart

Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
HBZ

Stuart,

Thanks for all the info from you and Ohlord. I am handyman to the extent that I changed the rear windows regulators.Changed the brake light switch and can change oil!!!!!!!!!! I saw some direction how to get the dispaly cluster out. Any suggestion?

anyhow, thanks a million. By the way, the engine light is on an off, specially when I get gas in the car. What is the possibility of a bad fuel tank cap?

HBZ

Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

Read the codes,also flip the gasket around in the gas cap,just gently pry it out and turn it over,if that helps get a new gas cap from the dealer.Cluster removal search posts on mbworld.org or see if the diy is on benzworld.org
ohlord

Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 AM

Hi,
You need a special tool to get the Instrument Cluster out. A couple of dollars on eBay.
Then a simple multiconnector which most probably has a mechanism for releasing/holding it i to the cluster.
Pack disassembly is quite straightforward IF you are a competent DIY'er. Need patience and afew strips of thin metal (like a small knife) to lift many plastic securing device simultaneously.

Your other problem suggests a leak in the fuel (vapour) system.
Most likely issue is the fuel cap as stated by ohlord. If not there are other possibilities.
ohlord posted a handy fuel system diagram within the last two weeks which gives an overview of how it all works. Check the charcan hose and connectors and finally the pressure sensor/electrical sensor connector in the tank.

Stuart.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
HBZ

Thank Stuart. I just took the enginecover out to remove the MAF and I am going to clean the MAF an put it back. I also do what Ohlord said for the fuel cap and check what you said for . Although I am not so sure if I understood them all (charcon hose and connectors). You guys are fantastic. I will check the diagram.

HBZ

Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

Engine cover did not have to come off to get the maf r/r.......
ohlord

Quick Reply: Check engine light