Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 E320 wagon, sudden power loss...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Default 2000 E320 wagon, sudden power loss...

Hi guys,

My first post. I have a 2000 E320 4Matic wagon with 128k on the clock. I was driving on the freeway the other day and the check engine light came on, the car started losing power. After checking under the hood for all the usual suspects (belts, fluids, visible electrical connectors), I fired it back up, only noticing a slightly rough idle. I was then able to drive it home, slowly. Anytime I give it open throttle, the engine sounds and feels like cylinders are cutting out , at about 4500 rpm.

I ran the code scanner and got:

P1509 - idle speed jigh, idle air control system not responding
P0113 - intake air temperature sensor voltage high
P0118 - ECT engine coolant temp sensor voltage too high
P1298 - Lean condition at wide open throttle.

this was flagging the C(catalyst monitor), O (oxygen sensor monitor) and OH (oxy sensor heater monitor)

Now this car had just passed emissions, with flying colors in fact, the month before! I can't help but feel that all these codes are the result of one failure. Can anyone help me out on where to start. I've read about the EGR valve being the potential culprit, but have not checked it yet.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
NAZ
Default RE: 2000 E320 wagon, sudden power loss...

FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED TO RENEW,AIR MASS SENSOR,AFTER RENEWAL ERASE THE CHECK LIGHT,ON RENWEL OF AIR MASS MAKE SURE ITS MADE BY BOSCH DUE ITS A BETTR QULITY AND LAST LONGER...............

Old 07-24-2007, 03:30 PM

NAZ, by renew you mean replace? Is it normal for these things to fail? Does this explain all the other trouble codes I got, and why did I not get a code for the actual Mass Air Sensor itself? Thanks buddy

Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

!. Clear the codes
2.check for air leaks in the whole intake system,and all your vacuum lines.
3.p0170 and p0173 are clues to a faulty maf.
4.Remove maf remove maf insert,security bits can be bought at schucks for 7 bucks a set.you want the ones with the hollow dimple in the center so they fit the screw,some peeps even say they just edge it out with a small pliers.clean the maf with CRC brand maf cleaner,and reinstall.
5.By cutting out at 4500 rpm do you mean in park?Your car has a rev limiter that kicks in when in park to limit revs to 4500rpm,in addition to the regular red line limit.
6.check for bad fuel
7.get back here and tell us more as you get more info.
8.doesn't sound like the maf to me,no harm cleaning it tho,looks to be a circuit problem causing some grounded wires,look for frayed wires,water pooled from a leak,damage from rats,they love to eat the insulation off wires.do the tests ,clear the codes and let's see which ones come back
ohlord

Old 07-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Clear the codes yet?Check that p1298 I think that's a bad IDM unit code not lean mixture,I could be wrong but if I am not wrong there lies the problem,the idm signals to the computer that an ignition event has taken place so the coil pack can get ready to fire again.When they fail you get how your ride is acting.
hope this helps.
ohlord
also check that your battery is good a charging system failure or a battery low on voltage will also cause your symptoms

Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM

I will be able to start going over it tonight, thank you sooo much for all the feedback you guys have given. BTW, you were correct, I was pinning the throttle while in park, so the rev limiter (which I did not know about) was what I was experiencing there. Stay tuned for tomorrow's updates.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Check my edit above about the battery,if its way down,the car will run like crap and trigger all sorts of codes...
ohlord

Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 AM

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

OK so you have "solved" the 4500 misfire while stationary.

Looks like the engine is running hot which of course could be due to weak mixture which might also link to your ...passed emmissions with flying colours. Why did you add this bit?

Good advice already given BUT I would cancel codes and go for a short run to determine order and what returns.

Since the codes came up something must have initiated them but sometimes you find that a cancel/reset appears to clear the problem. If this is the situation we need to think a little more in depth what might have initiated the faults.

It is absolutely true that low battery voltage can screw everything up but this may not be the case here.

Could be MAF but would wait till a little more data is available before rushing out to buy a new (expensive) unit.

Message for NAZ or anybody else who has access to current MB definitions.

P1298 is a manufacturer specific code. What is the MB definition for this please. Is this why you suggest the MAF? The Lean definition given in the post may not be the MB definition.

Stuart

Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 AM

ok guys, an update.

I got home and fired up the car, no check engine light was on. I then went for a very spirited drive, with many full throttle launches, still nothing. The moment I got on the freeway, the check engine light came on, blinking for 10 seconds and then went solid. The engine then started shaking and there was a definite loss of engine power. I limped the car off the freeway, clearly missing cylinders. I then shut off the engine, and ten seconds later fired it back up. Now although the CEL was still on, all cylinders seemed to be back. I drove the remaining 3 miles back home and never experienced the loss of power again.

Back home, I checked the air-filter>>>new
removed the MAF for inspection, looks new to me. I reinstalled and seated plug.

I also remove the signal wire from each coil pack and re-seated them. This time when I ran the code reader, I got P0300, 302, 303, 304, 306

btw, although I did not get a chance to check battery voltage yet, it appears to be fine, as it cranks the engine over quite nicely.

where do we go from here?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned

Codes pulled before you pulled the coil wires or after?Make sure they are not damaged. cyl 2,3,4,and 6 look like they don't like something going on.Multiple misfires,clean the maf by takng it apart,easy to remove the insert and clean with CRC maf cleaner. EGR could be plugged,Any noise rattling from the cats?or the CPS failing will cause mult misfires as well as stalling issues etc.
Clear those codes again after you make sure the coil packs are hooked up correctly,clean the maf and get back to the forum,someone will get to the bottom of this!
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Quick Reply: 2000 E320 wagon, sudden power loss...