Mercedes CLS Class CLS500 Coupe.

cls 550 idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Default cls 550 idle problems

I've got a 2007 cls 550 that has a noticable shaky feeling and what seems to be a rough idle everytime I am sitting at a red light-almost feels like the car is sputtering. Does anyone have this problem or know what the issue is?? Had it at MB 2 times and they don't seem to have any idea.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Default RE: cls 550 idle problems

I have the same problem with my 2006 cls. Brought it back to dealer and got the same results. Dealer said I'm not driving it enough. They claim to be seeing some carbon buildup due to lack of driving. They suggested the Chevron fuel additive and change where I purchase my gas. Some days it does it and others it doesn't. I am trying to ignor it and enjoy the ride of your life!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Try blowing them out. I mean floor it once in a while on the highway. Believe it or not it actually is good for your car.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM

C280 sport- That's just what the MB service guy told me! He said the car will love it!!!!! Tried it and it worked for that time. And then I put the car back in the garage for several weeks and it did the same thing. Car wants to be driven and driven hard some times!!!! Like a woman!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 PM

How long do you keep your car sitting for? If it is long carbon will eventually build up. This happined on my SL I kept at my summer home. It would sit for long periods of time and when I got back down to Florida I would have to blow it out on the highway.Even if you dont drive it maybe haveyour wife or kids or someone start it up and drive it around so you dont have Engine issues.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 AM

The longest it has sat was 3 weeks! I need to get it out on the highway and put the petal to the metal! Last time I did and it was happy! Dealer also recommended the Chevron gas additive for Carbon build-up.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 AM

There you go. Problem solved. The CLS 550 has I belive a 5.4 V8? Use it!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Default 2006 CLS 500 - Sporadically rocks / shakes

Greetings Fellow Mercedes CLS Owners,
I just purchased a 2006 CLS 500 and am experiencing the same idle issues. The car is immaculate with 38,000 miles and I'm amazed I am dealing with type of problem. At an idle (in gear or in park) the car sporadically rocks / shakes like it's out of tune or miss firing. I have had into San Diegio Mercedes Benz (Penske) 4 times regarding this issue with no success. They confirmed the car checked out and is in excellent condition and up to Mercedes spec. Their top mechanics were involved in trying to resolve the issue and came to the conclusion that the rocking was standard for the 113 engine in my car. They also told me they had seen several other 2006 CLS500 with the same problem or even worse. That is insane and unacceptable for this level of car, or any Mercedes Benz for that mater.
Has anyone with similar problems pushed the issue with Mercedes Corporate? This is definaltely something that needs to be addressed and resolved. In my opinion, if this is the standard then this is a defective engine and Mercedes needs to remedy.
Any assistance or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Todd

Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

My battle continues. Posted a new web site regarding my 2006 CLS shaking issues:

http://cls500review.com/

My next step is to contact the top brass at Mercedes Benz USA and if that does not work move on to all of the Auto Industry trade magazines. Anyone with similar issues that wants to join me, drop me an e-mail or post in the thread.

Thanks,
-Todd

Old 10-24-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by cogancorp
Greetings Fellow Mercedes CLS Owners,
I just purchased a 2006 CLS 500 and am experiencing the same idle issues. The car is immaculate with 38,000 miles and I'm amazed I am dealing with type of problem. At an idle (in gear or in park) the car sporadically rocks / shakes like it's out of tune or miss firing. I have had into San Diegio Mercedes Benz (Penske) 4 times regarding this issue with no success. They confirmed the car checked out and is in excellent condition and up to Mercedes spec. Their top mechanics were involved in trying to resolve the issue and came to the conclusion that the rocking was standard for the 113 engine in my car. They also told me they had seen several other 2006 CLS500 with the same problem or even worse. That is insane and unacceptable for this level of car, or any Mercedes Benz for that mater.
Has anyone with similar problems pushed the issue with Mercedes Corporate? This is definaltely something that needs to be addressed and resolved. In my opinion, if this is the standard then this is a defective engine and Mercedes needs to remedy.
Any assistance or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Todd
I have the same year and make as you and I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?