Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

rear headrests wont go down

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Default Any more specifics on where the "reset hole" is?

We have tried to find the reset based on the descriptions above.

Can anyone provide any more specific details or a picture? I know - someone said it was simple, but of course, that's AFTER you do it once!!

Any help appreciated!
Linda

Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM

I had the saame issue and you can reset it by pressing the down bottom of the back headrest for 10 to 15 seconds. This should clear it.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM

When my 2002 CLK convertible rear headrest poped up, I simply raised the top, and they went down. They would not move using the switch, but when I hit the top switch...they went down.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Default Top was up on car when this happened

More info on this:

The headrests went up due to a bump, but the top is up. So, from what I understand, that's an issue. I don't think I can get the top down since the headrests in the back are up so high (not enough clearance).

I read the other post about the headrest latch but have not had any success nor a male friend who also tried to find that.

Still hoping for more help?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Hi,

I sort of new here but was able, with the information in this post, to get my headrests back into position and decided to try to help someone else.

There is a stitch on the driver side of each headrest, this is a guide for where to slide the tool down into the cavity where the headrest normally reside. When you slide the tool down into the cavity you will encounter a metal plate or the lever that needs to be depressed to allow the headrest to be pushed down. It doesn't take much force to push the lever down. You must feel around for the lever. It is approximately straight down by the stitch on the headrest.

Push the lever down, and while holding the lever down push the headrest down. Pushing the headrest down takes a bit of effort. Push it all the way down in one motion, release the lever before releasing the headrest. Do the same for the other and you are done.

Hope this helps.

Sly

Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Hope this helps from the CLK430 Cabriolet Manual page 52:

Roll bar and head restraints, rear

The rear head restraints are integrated in the roll bar.

The roll bar will be automatically raised in an accident or in a potentially dangerous driving situation. A ratchet noise can be heard when the roll bar is automatically raised.

The roll bar can be lowered again after an automatic deployment by pressing the upper half of the roll bar switch (for at least 8 seconds) until the roll bar drive mechanism audibly engages. Then press the lower half of the switch to lower the roll bar.

If the roll bar was rasied using the switch it will be automatically lowered when activating the soft top switch

Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Default Is the headrest switch the same as the rollbar switch?

First, thank you for more information!

I have been in the middle of moving and don't have the manual.

Is the rollbar switch the same as the headrest switch in the front middle panel or is there a separate rollbar switch?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
Linda

Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM

It is the same switch

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM
apb

I have a 2005 w209 CLK with the roll bars up and the top closed. I am still confused on what I can do. Should I reset then manually with the allen wrench or screwdriver even though the manual says to only do it if the top is open? Thanks for the help~!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 AM

I have a 2004 CLK and headrests poped up only i had the roof up! To top it off i did not have the long tool and the manual says to take it to the dealer.
First I tried using a screw driver down the stiching as descibed by others but i found as the handle rubbed on the headrest it tilted the tip inward. Lucky for me i had a metal rod about a foot long, this was a bit longer than a screw driver and more importantly with no handle it allowed me to push it straight down, after poking around I found the soft bit to depress.
I got the one with the stich towards the middle pretty straight forrward, but the one facing out was a lot harder because the roof was up, but I did get it in the end.

Quick Reply: rear headrests wont go down