Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

rear headrests wont go down

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Default rear headrests wont go down

Last night I hit an unforseen pothole. The radio instantly shut off, the hazards came on and the SOS button lit up. The rear headrest popped up. There was no damage to the car at all just a hard impact.

Now, I cant get the rear headrests down and I cant open the vert top.

Its an 04 CLK 320.

Anyone know what to do ??

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: rear headrests wont go down

No one knows if there is a way to reset it for the top and rear seats.

Has this ever happened to anyone else ??

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

it also serves as anti-roll bar. you won't be able to bring the top down unless it is resetted.

on the left side, you have to insert something to push the lock in order to press it back down. it is not visible, but you can feel the tension.

that long allen in your tools can do, but i prefer using a flat metal ruler.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 PM

same thing is wrong with mine, i've managed to push the bars down. on the rear seats where the bars are there is a small seam to indicate the direction to push the allen key in, at the same time you need to pull the bars down.

Any ideas on how to resset the convertible top

Old 05-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Hi Maybe I'm being stupid but I can not find the bit to push the head restraints down. I hit a ramp too fast this afternoon and my rear head restraints popped up. I called into Mercedes garage but there wasn't a mechanic to help out. Now I have to wait until Tuesday with my hood stuck down. Praying that it doesn't rain. I also don't have the allen key in my tools to add to my problem.

Dave

Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 PM
NAZ

a long flat blade would work its hard to explain but if u get hook of it beleve it its very simple,i do this almost all day we ve so many boy race round in our area with the 55 amg....

Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 AM

Hi Naz,
Thanks very much for your help. I went back to the car and looked at it in the cool light of day, at least I was cooler. I found that seam and with the aid of a torch saw the reset hole. I found that a thin barbecue kebab knife was excellent to push the button down. Always have that in the boot now.

Have a nice weekend. Mine will be better now.

Regards,

Dave
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Default Simple rear headrest reset.

This is a fairly straightforward reset. Each of the headrests has a springloaded latch that must be released in order to get the headrest to go back down. The latch is on the driver's side (left) of each headrest down in the well where the headrest nestles. You can't visually SEE the latch but it is inside a little cut away in the base of the well that is about 6mm X 12mm or 1/4" X 1/2". If you can insert the handle of another slender screwdriver between the displaced headrest and the top of the seat you can visually see where the long screwdriver needs to enter the chamber where the latch resides. You must press the tip of the screwdriver into the hole and feel the springloaded latch depress as you simultaneously press the headrest all the way back into position. You must remove the screwdriver from the latch beforereleasing the headrest or it will spring back up to its locked position.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Hi, I have the same issue. rear head restraints popped. My owners manual states I need to take the car to the dealer for the service because the top is up. My question is can I lower the rear headrests with the top closed? The convertible top will not go down with the button.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:18 PM

hi, i have the same problem, i canot do it, how much will the dealers charge?

Quick Reply: rear headrests wont go down