Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

my new clk430 avantgarde few glitches

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Default my new clk430 avantgarde few glitches

Hi guys. Since my computer crashed, my internet usage has been restricted to my smart phone, so not been on the forum scene for a bit. But anyway, after giving my old man my E class (2000 E 280 Avantgarde), I finally got the car I had my heart set on. A 2000 CLK 430 avantgarde with the black n red interior.
But anyway. As with any car of this age, it does have its flaws. One of which flew off on the motorway earlier today. The offside pillar cover (exterior) by the right side of the winscreen decided to leave me, and it even left its mark on my driver's door, on its way out. Now I've ordered a new one, but was just wondering if there's anything in particular I should know about when refitting this? Since the last person to fit it (im presuming when changing the windscreen) left it slightly loose (it was just a slight movement, so i never would have expected it to fly off) and I want to be certain I've done a proper job of it before going on the motorway again (I couldn't find a "how-to" for this).

Another thing is a very faint, but fast ticking noise from the front of the car, that sometimes happens at idle and you can only hear it when its quiet, with the Windows up. I'm guessing its just the tappets, but would like some reassurance from any one who may know of this, if possible.

Finally for now, I thought someone may be able to shed some light on this odd one for me; I was changing the fuel filter before I went out today, and did as usual (please note, I changed the fuel filter for the E class just the day before, which uses exactly the as filter): I pulled the fuel pump fuse and started the engine. I let it run till it cut out and started it a couple more times to release all the pressure from the fuel lines.
But when it came to undoing the hoses from the filter, I was suprised by a sudden spray of petrol directly in the face, which went into my eyes, nose and mouth. Now if this has ever happened to you, you'll know how much it burns. But anyway, this continued to spray for at least 10 seconds which has never happened before. And don't forget, I did the E class, which uses elthe same filter, in exactly the same way, just the day before, with no issues.
Could someone explain this? Did I miss something I should know about for the next time?

Thanks a lot for all responses in advance, Baz.