Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Instrument panel randomly shuts off W209 CLK500 Conv

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Default Instrument panel randomly shuts off W209 CLK500 Conv

I have a 2005 CLK 500 Convertible with 115k miles.

One of my light bulbs (the one that stays lit at night after turning of the car) burned out and I replaced it with a similar looking bulb before going to work.

On my way to work as I’m driving all of a sudden my instrument cluster shut off (the outside temperature and odometer still displayed but was not updating the miles driven). Also my radio shut off but I was able to turn it back on. I also heard the fan (believe it’s the radiator fan) working really hard since there was a lot of noise coming from the engine. I shut of the car and restarted and everything was back to normal.

On the way back from work the same thing happened but the car did not start right away. The key would not want to turn as if there wasn’t any electrical power at all. It eventually started on the 3rd or 4th try.

I came home and removed the light bulb I installed. The next day (day 2) the car worked without and problems.

Today (day 3) I took the light bulb from the good headlight and placed it in the burned out headlight and it worked. I also took the spare light bulb that I had previously tried to install to see if it would work one more time but it did not and I took it out. On my way to work the same thing happened as on the day 1, but this time it happened 2 times and when I arrived at work and restarted the car the check engine light came one.

I must also mention that for a while my info center on the instrument cluster has been displaying that I have several malfunctions associated with lights being either out or working when they are not supposed. I visually inspect it they all work fine, but it keeps telling me side markers lights are out or that the backup light is on when in actuality the side marker lights are on and the reverse light is not on.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 PM

I had exactly somethingtoday. I replaced the bump light and 5 minutes later instrumental panel shoutedoff while driving. Time was resetted. The light was on in the display. The fan started to workreally hard, engine error code was related with oxygen sensor but I think itwas related with power problem in display.

When I removed the fuse #42 (instrumental panel), the light in the panel was also off. I mean, It is not same thing what today happened.

Did somebody find any solution for that or any clue?