Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

i found a great place for a hidden xm radio antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Default i found a great place for a hidden xm radio antenna

It took me about 2 hours, no drilling. The only tools needed are radio removal keys, a wire coathanger, phillips screwdriver, long tweezers or needlenose pliers.

I started with removing the air intake cover on the outside. Easy. There are no screws, it just pops off after pulling up the rubber air dam strip in front - see picture.

Next just lie the antenna in the trough and begin to feed the antenna wire between the fender and body to the door sill - see picture. This is where the tweezers/needlenose pliers comes in handy or the coathanger.

Next pull the entire antenna wire through, make sure it's behind the hood spring. Then begin stuffing it behind the weatherstripping in the doorframe - see picture.

Next remove the underside of the passenger dash, only three screws, and stuff the antenna wire behind the floor carpet.

Revove the air vent on the console below the passenger dash, one plastic screw.

Now remove the radio with the radio keys, make sure you have a code to go with the radio before doing this.

Now remove the store bin below the radio, it just pulls out.

Now remove the wood around the shifter on the center console by gently prying up the end closest to the ashtray, I just used my fingers, easy. The whole assembly will lift right off.

Now remove the ashtray by taking out 2 small screws which attach the ashtray to the console underneath the wood trim piece you just removed, then simply pull out the ashtray, I put the shifter in drive to do this.

Now using the coathanger, mine is pink in the pictures, I fed the coathanger through the vent where I previously removed the cover and into the space where I revoved the ashtray, then use the coathanger to pull the antenna through to the space where the ashtray was by bending the end sticking out of the vent under the passenger side dash around the antenna and pull through.

If you are mounting your xm radio in the dash then your done. I mount mine in the bottom of the center console between the seats so you don't see the xm radio unless you lift up the center console lid.

My car also has an xm modulater adapter for the car antenna so the output is diectly into the car radio antenna with the adapter set to whichever fm modulated station i choose,these are at wal-mart. These could also be put in at the same time as the xm antenna is being placed behind the dash as you now have access to the car antenna as well as power wires, that is for another forum.

Now remove the phone cable pad and cover in the bottom of the center console, one screw, and feed the coathanger from inside the console to just beside the shifter, which is exposed after previously removig the wood piece around the shifter. Again use the coat hanger to pull the xm antenna end through and into the console, which is where I set up my xm radio so it is hidden from view.

The recption is perfect and noone will ever notice the antenna, no drilling. The pictures should be in order from start to finish. Good luck[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Default RE: i found a great place for a hidden xm radio antenna

I'm trying to upload pictures but it isn't working. Says the file is too large.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:47 AM

This link is to my pictures.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=4&fid=20

Old 11-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

oldnews is a music lover.

fishing is your hobby too?

Old 11-20-2004, 08:41 PM

How'd you know?

Old 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM

Spooky, ain't he? Some lady asked a question here and he knew she was a blond.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

because using a pink hanger to pull the XM antenna wire needs good fishing skill.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:06 AM

So what'd you think of the placement. I got not one comment so far after about 150 hits, what gives?

Old 11-21-2004, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

this is the first time i heard of XM radio, and i find it very interesting after searching on the web.
it is via satellite.

if i were to install it, it will be exactly the same way you do. you have done an ideal way to do it.

when installing a handsfree microphone, it also goes up on the A pillar.