Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

CLK 270 CDI Transmission problem

Old 09-15-2008, 04:28 AM
Default CLK 270 CDI Transmission problem

Thought I would post a quick message re transmission problems on my 2003 (May) CLK 270 CDI, manual gearbox that are no longer present!

After a Service A the other week I was noticing that my car was overrevving in 5th and 6th gear when under heavy acceleration i.e. foot to the floor. When I took my foot of the gas and floored it again the car did not overrev but pulled away as expected. The symptoms were classic clutch slip (so I thought). I took it to the garage and they did a full diagnostic and could not find any problems. They had cleaned out the pipes from the turbo as part of the service and said the clutch was fine (uphill acceleration in third did not slip at all) and that it may be an issue with the fuel transmission but still could not identify the problem.

Then last week the car started to shudder as though it was going over many small bumps in the road whilst in cruise control at 75 mph (at this point I have to admit that I was worried about the old glycol in the trans horror that I had read about on this and other forums). When I disengaged cruise control and hit the acclerator the car pulled away fine and I have not experienced the problem since. The other baffling thing is that the overrevving seems to have gone away completely as well and the car is driving the same way as when new. My mechanic has subsequently said that I should keep an eye on it but that it could have been some dirty fuel that was causing the symptoms.

The car has done 115k miles and is absolutely first class. In the 115k miles I have only had to replace a MAF sensor and a couple of track rod ends (as well as regular service A and B's). My only gripe is excessive tyre wear but I can live with that given how satisfied I am with the rest of the package. There is no way that I am going to trade this car in the near future - looking forward to another 115k miles