Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

CLK 240 Transmisson Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Default CLK 240 Transmisson Problem

Hi, hope someone can help / advise witha real problem I have with a recently purchased 2002 CLK 240. The car developed a droning noise, kicked in at around 35-40 mph, stopped if I took my foot off accelerator, also the car was stuttering / missing quite badly. It had developed the Glycol issue that I have since read about on this forum. Radiator, torque converter were replaced and gear box re conditioned and to add insult to injury, rear axle was replaced too as at the time mechanics believed noise was at the back! Much money later, I picked the car up at the end of the week and drove to the West Country, fine for about 100 miles and then I felt physically sick when the droning noise returned, it is back with a vengeance.. gear box engr suggests that the ECU should be re programmed as the torque converter has been changed, would that cause the noise? I really don't know what to do next. MB Romford know about the glycol issue and stated that it was right to change Rad, TC and re con the gearox but they do not associate the noise with this issue and yet I have read many posts on here re this and the noise is always mentioned. I have not yet seen a post that has a full resolution. I would really appreciate any help with this as I have gone from feeling over the moon with the car to complete despair. Many Thanks. John

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Default RE: CLK 240 Transmisson Problem

Jono1956

Hadn't been on the site for sometime, but just came across your noteon the Glycol problems you've been having. Assume it's all resolved now, however I've posted my experience with this issue and Mercedes back up front if you want to have a read.

In answer to your question the only successful way to solve the problem is to replace everything associated with this, reconditioning them will not do.

Hope this helps.

Gazzyd

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Really appreciate your response Gazzyd...

Can't get answers from anyone else including MB head office and various dealerships..

As I mentioned, this has really baffled alot of good people... They believe they have resolved the glycol issue that was causing the stuttering....but they all believe the droning noise is a completely separate problem, which confuses me considering the noise was mentioned by others on this forum... So, after spending alot of money, I have had to draw the line and unless someone can pinpoint exactly what's causing the droning noise, I just have to suffer it, which is a shame cos I love the car... The prop shaft and rear axle were replaced un-necessarily, that was a bit gutting..

Did you have the droning noise? It seems to come from the back but we just cannot pinpoint it.... A Merc guy said I may never find it...oh great....

Thanks again for responding.

Regards....John

Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Jono1956

Don't knowexactly whatcauses the droning noise, but it disappeared when everythig was replaced, ie. the radiator, torque converter and gearbox.

Not sure where you're based, but if it helps the independent tech's who picked this up on mine, who are ex Mercedesdealership, can be contacted on 01902 897447 for advice, I'm sure they'll be able to help.

gazzyd

Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Hi gazzyd,

Thanks so much for that

I'm based in Essex, but I'll give them a call...

Cheers

John

Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2005 CLK 240 Cabriolet.. Love the car, but I am missing the car's Handbook. Any chance anyone might have it as a soft copy? Appreciate your response.