Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

08 CLK 550 Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Default 08 CLK 550 Transmission issues

Hi everyone, we bought a used CLK with 49,000 miles on the odometer. It came from Car Max and we purchased the extended warranty. We had them do the trans service, because it had never been done according to the cars history. And it had been a lease vehicle that was maintained by M.B. Go figure.
If you kicked down on it while rolling say 10 to 20 mph it would de-fuel/pull the power off and then shift into 1st and then go.
I was told that was normal by the M.B. dealer that performed the trans service.
OK we are in our sixties and don't race or run it hard, we drive like old people. Now that we have 50,800 miles on the odometer it started acting up. When in traffic and stop and go it will intermittently slam into second gear while just moderately giving it gas. If you kick down on it wide open throttle from a roll or from a full stop it will slam into 2nd gear and then pull the power off until it shifts to 3rd and then thru the rest normally. There have not been any check engine lights. I'm thinking it's a shift solenoid or the clutch packs going south? I used to spin wrenches for a living but never did much on M.B.'s except for brakes and such. Any idea's Thanks

Last edited by cowboywildbill; 09-18-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by cowboywildbill
Hi everyone, we bought a used CLK with 49,000 miles on the odometer. It came from Car Max and we purchased the extended warranty. We had them do the trans service, because it had never been done according to the cars history. And it had been a lease vehicle that was maintained by M.B. Go figure.
If you kicked down on it while rolling say 10 to 20 mph it would de-fuel/pull the power off and then shift into 1st and then go.
I was told that was normal by the M.B. dealer that performed the trans service.
OK we are in our sixties and don't race or run it hard, we drive like old people. Now that we have 50,800 miles on the odometer it started acting up. When in traffic and stop and go it will intermittently slam into second gear while just moderately giving it gas. If you kick down on it wide open throttle from a roll or from a full stop it will slam into 2nd gear and then pull the power off until it shifts to 3rd and then thru the rest normally. There have not been any check engine lights. I'm thinking it's a shift solenoid or the clutch packs going south? I used to spin wrenches for a living but never did much on M.B.'s except for brakes and such. Any idea's Thanks
Did an MB dealership do the trans service? or did someone tell you it was done at the dealership? if not, better have the trans fluid checked first. there is no trans dipstick.could also be something more serious. clutch, band, valve body, all are fairly common.

Last edited by chassis221; 09-18-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Hi, the dealer did do the service. They have the car now and we are waiting to hear what they find.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM

I was told the car was ready and that no codes were found, so no repairs are needed only a software update and that it may still not shift correctly until it relearns our driving habits. Sounds kind of screwy to me. It shifted fine for 49,000 miles and then needs a software update?? I guess I'll know after we drive it for a couple of hundred miles.
We will pick it up tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM

Still shifting really hard. Getting worse. 300 miles since dealer fixed it???

Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Unhappy

Just got car back again they had it for six weeks this time and put a remaned trans/tc/valvebody"plate" in it. It shifted fine and did not slam. It also would kick right down into 1st gear at a 20 mph roll at wide open throttle like it should with no delay. Second day we had it back took it on the highway and thats when I noticed that it now has a pretty bad shudder in the drive line when putting it in a pull at 60 mph and above. I think it is the tc or the 7 gear clutch packs slipping. It felt like the shudder you get from a bad drive shaft or u joints, but it doesn't have u joints and the shaft looks fine. It is back and it has been a week now this time. I really hate this Car Max extended warranty crap. They send it out to a nother shop and the warranty people supplied the trans and parts. Wonder who rebuilt it?? Starting too hate this car. Purchased in May 28th 2012 total time in thier shops since then "10 weeks" off and on and most of the time nothing was done????? They have an excellant Merc Master Tech working at the Car Max, but won't let him do any of the major work. Go figure. Any idea's on the shudder????

Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Just got car back again they had it for six weeks this time and put a remaned trans/tc/valvebody"plate" in it. It shifted fine and did not slam. It also would kick right down into 1st gear at a 20 mph roll at wide open throttle like it should with no delay. Second day we had it back took it on the highway and thats when I noticed that it now has a pretty bad shudder in the drive line when putting it in a pull at 60 mph and above. I think it is the tc or the 7 gear clutch packs slipping. It felt like the shudder you get from a bad drive shaft or u joints, but it doesn't have u joints and the shaft looks fine. It is back and it has been a week now this time. I really hate this Car Max extended warranty crap. They send it out to a nother shop and the warranty people supplied the trans and parts. Wonder who rebuilt it?? Starting too hate this car. Purchased in May 28th 2012 total time in thier shops since then "10 weeks" off and on and most of the time nothing was done????? They have an excellant Merc Master Tech working at the Car Max, but won't let him do any of the major work. Go figure. Any idea's on the shudder????
so the car hasnt been going to an MB dealership for the trans work? you need to go to an MB shop that has the proper equipment and access to all the needed info. sounds to me like someone doesnt know whats going on. Take the car back and complain. they should have roadtested the car . go on a ride with a shop foreman or technician and show them the shudder in the trans. not sure what you mean when you say carmax? if benz puts in a reman trans, it will be a whole complete transmission including, valvebody and plate.

Last edited by chassis221; 11-30-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Car Max the car Dealership we bought it used from. It has been to an MB Dealer twice, but the extended warranty wouldn't allow them to do the trans swap. It went to a shop that does Merc's and has Merc trained mechanics but isn't affiliated with Merc. That shop wanted to buy a new or remaned unit from Merc but the warranty people wouldn't pay for that. So the Car max warranty people supplied a rebuilt unit from who knows where.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM

The Remaned unit is what is shuddering now?? I think it's time for a Lawyer.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM

The Remaned unit is what is shuddering now?? I think it's time for a Lawyer.
if your sure the vibration or banging into gear is not from something else, wheels, driveshaft, tires, motormounts etc, then you have every reason to do that. i think you should take it to an MB dealership and get their oppinion on whats wrong with the car before taking action. get carmax to pay for the bill, Maybe it doesnt have the correct amount of trans fluid in it? if you have the 7 speed trans in that car there are special filling requiremnts to make sure the fluid level is correct. you should let them know your gonna call a lawyer and see if maybe they can buy back the car. Id be pissed off too. good luck.

Quick Reply: 08 CLK 550 Transmission issues