Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

Need Help.. (Air Mass Sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Default Need Help.. (Air Mass Sensor)

Hey everyone.. So my check engine light goes off on me yesterday for the first time on my 2000 CL500.. I take the day off today and take the car in to the local shop. The hook it up to the computer and the guy at the shop tells me it could be one of two things.. Either the Air Mass Sensor is faulty and or the filters need to be changed. After a quick inspection he determined that the filters were fine and it was merely the sensor that needed to be replaced.. He told me it would be about 380 for the sensor and 80 for labor (which I really can't afford at this point).. After doing a quick search i found the Air Mass Sensors online for about $190 plus shipping.

After looking at a picture of the sensor online it seems like the sensor is really plug and play like and now I'm considering just swapping the sensor myself. (I know, it sounds a bit crazy). I've never done anything like this before so I don't know where the sensor is and if it is really as easy as it looks.. I'm hoping someone here can give me some helpful tips or advice on how to swap the sensor, where it is, etc..I guess I'm looking for astep by step tutorial on how this is done (maybe some pictures?).. I know I'm asking for a lot, I just don't want to be out of a car for the next 2 to 3 weeks until I can save and get this problem fixed if I really do have to pay the $460 . I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips or advice. If you think it's a bad idea and that I shouldn't touch it, please let me know and I won't.. It just looked rather simple enough to do myself.

Please feel free to respond here or email me directly at: cthoughts1@tmail.com with any information that may be helpful.

Thanks!
-DA