Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes C Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/)
-   -   Windscreen wiper driving me NUTS! (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/windscreen-wiper-driving-me-nuts-7981/)

gina2201 11-24-2005 08:36 AM

Windscreen wiper driving me NUTS!

My w202 Merc is driving me mad, quite literally!

The wiper never sits in the right place! It's always half way up my windscreen or directly in my view, it des not work on intermittent either, anyone any ideas?

Thanks, Gina.

RockSolid 11-24-2005 02:56 PM

RE: Windscreen wiper driving me NUTS!

Actually, the best place for it to sit, for least wind resistance, is straight up and down; according to my nephew.
But since you're proly not racing your W202, it is a nuisance.

The first thing I would try (because it’s free) is disconnecting the battery for 30 mins.
Why, because when you reattach it, all the on-board computers will go back to the default settings. This has a chance of working and as I said, it cost nothing to try.[sm=goodidea.gif]

C280 wizard 11-24-2005 05:46 PM

If that doesn't work, they can be adjusted or a new park switch installed.

finchy 11-27-2005 06:37 PM

Hi gina,
Used to have a similar problem with my W202 it turned out to be a faulty switch stalk, all the internal connecting elements were sticky or dirty, so causing bad connections when you turn the switch etc. can't say for definate that this is the thing though, I sorted mine out by prizing the end cap off, be very careful cos' there's some really small parts in there, also make note of the position of everything sliding the internal components out VERY CAREFULLY!! ( Very small clips and springs inside) then cleaning the connectors of the dirt and gundge etc. apply a proper electrical switch lubricant, now carefully replace all the components in the correct order and with fingers crossed it should at least sort out the intermittent wiper fault.
Best of luck

Finchy

gina2201 11-28-2005 03:00 PM

Thanks for your help! I shall try the free things first, as I have been given other "info" that its the wiper "gearbox"? So, before I spend money on anything, I shall try your ideas, thankyou!

Gina

finchy 11-30-2005 09:35 PM

Not a problem. Like I said it might not be the same sort of thing that fixed mine but anything is better than splashing out a load of money and then finding out that it only needed cleaning!!!! Just be carefull when taking it apart and remember where everything goes etc.
All the best!
Finchy

Mywifescar 11-30-2005 10:03 PM

Try checking to see if the wiper motor is grounded ..... What year is it ? I had a 72 280SE with what sounds like your problem. It turned out to be a brass insert in the rubber mount for the motor that wasn't grounded and when you took a piece of wire with two roach clips on the ends ...put one on the motor and one to a good ground it would work right.