Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes C Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/)
-   -   Window Tint / Keyless Remote: (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/window-tint-keyless-remote-29575/)

Jurrr 05-21-2008 05:10 PM

Window Tint / Keyless Remote:

Hi everyone...
I just had my windows tinted, and now my keyless remote doesn't work! I am driving a C230 K.
I did all the research I could on this before hand, found a reputable tint place etc... And NO ONE there "knew" that this was a possibility. I am so pissed off about this.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get things working again, besides REMOVING the tint? And if I do remove the tint, will it guarantee that the keyless will work again!?!?!

Surely someone out there has had this problem before...??? Please help... I really don't want this to turn into a nightmare. MB dealership said they have seen it before and don't recommend it... I should have called them first I guess.

MBTeen 05-21-2008 07:01 PM

RE: Window Tint / Keyless Remote:

Bad news... I had the exact same problem happen when I tinted the windows on my C230K. I had to remove the rear window tint and replace the antenna assembly, as the installer had cut the wire slightly in installing it. Also, the side windows scratch the tinting because they have a seal on the inside of the window. Removing the tint won't guarantee that the keyless will work. There is the likelihood that the tint is the only problem, but only if you had metallic tint installed. The metal in the tint interferes with the signal. Otherwise... It was an expensive fix too... (I couldn't get the tint installers to pay for it...)

2fast4u_c280 05-21-2008 10:44 PM

say no 2 tint for future tinters.

mrcoyote 05-21-2008 10:50 PM

Any of the premium quality non-metallic window films will not cause this to happen. I just did mine and it's fine. I used a 3M product.
Some of the metallic films wreak havoc with cell phone reception in the car, radar detectors, antennas, etc. Some of the films will
scratch easily, some not. Yes, the inside weatherstrip has been a problem for some people. I was one of them. The cure for the
scratching problem was covered extensively in a post of mine some time ago.

tint@xtra.co.nz 05-22-2008 03:29 AM

The best way to ensure you will not have problems with Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) is the use of non-metallic window films.

We prefer to use Huper Optik Nano-Ceramic films. They will not interfere, are optically superior to any other brand (even 3M), are corrosion resistant and have extremely high heat rejection. Huper Optik is available in a range of shades, from a virtually clear, to the very dark.

A far as scratching of the film goes, Mercs and some other brands need a felt strip inserted at the time of the film installation, to prevent this problem. Also, no glass should be scratched during the installation. Top Tinters usethe right tools and methods to prevent this.

Window films have too many benefits to shy away from them. Sometimes you just need to find a good installer, one who is experienced in your brand. Look up Huper Optik to find a competent dealer in your area.

Cheers

hughits 05-22-2008 11:38 AM

I was about to buy a tinting kit and work on it. Thank you for useful information!

mrcoyote 05-22-2008 03:28 PM

Local car wash here in the Phoenix area (Danny's Car Wash), which has several locations, is the exclusive dealer and installer for
Huper Optik window films. It's true, this is a quality product with great heat rejection. But the price difference deters a lot of people.
A typical non-metallic window tint job here, using a tint like the premium 3M, is about 200 bucks or so for a four door sedan type vehicle.

The Huper Optik can be around 600 bucks, depending on what mood the guy is in who quotes the job. Yes, you can bargain with them.
If you walk away, they come back at you with a hundred bucks off if you'll DO IT NOW. Never fails. They want the job NOW and won't
take any appointments. My window tint guy told me that they (meaning Danny's) can't use the Huper on the backglass, and that they don't
tell you that. Something about not being able to shrink the Huper that size to fit. Don't know about that.

The scratching problem on the door glasses can be alleviated with felt or moleskin on the inside beltline weatherstrip. I did that job
myself, removing each door panel to access the strip for ease of working on it. No problems with scratching so far. ;)

rgalusic 03-12-2017 01:58 PM

Hello,

I had my windows tinted on my '16 CLA250 yesterday and I had the same problem - key would work to unlock, lock, etc. but push-to-start would not work and I got the "key not detected" message. Keys were less than 5 months old so I was pretty certain it had nothing to do with the battery. I tried it again today and voila, worked just fine. As some of the others mentioned previously, it must have something to do with the tint still being wet and interfering with the antennae, but once it dries it should be fine (assuming nothing was damaged in the process).

Good luck!

R

Traveler0980 11-02-2017 09:08 PM

Just had my C-300 tinted with SunTec CPX ceramic. I had the same tinter do my CLK a few years ago and had no issues with scratching, thus I took this car to him.

I had asked him about the "mirror" tints and he said he doesn't offer them as they tend to interfere with cell phone and some keyless systems.

Just my $.02 worth.