Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W204 Comand Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Default W204 Comand Issue

Having a bit of a nightmare at the minute in regards to the command flip up cover and screen in my C180 2010.Link to show whats happening:

Symptoms:
  1. Ignition turned on
  2. Cover opens fully.
  3. Screen flips up, MB logo is displayed.
  4. Doesnt proceed to boot to display the command warning when driving babble etc.
  5. Screen flips down and cover closes again.
  6. Audio remains on with limited functions at steering wheel.
  7. Press the button on top of cover.
  8. Cover opens and screen will flip up but this time remains up but screen is black.
  9. Audio remains on with limited functions at steering wheel.
  10. Will stay like this until, key is recycled or button is pressed to close.
  11. Whilst the screen remains open, pressing button on cover will illuminate the display and show the MB Logo or radio channels etc. and then returns to the black screen again.
  12. But at times I can get into car turn the key and everything is fine, command works as normal?
    Items I have covered in checking so far
  1. Fuses
  2. Remove unit and checked wiring connections
  3. Reset system
  4. Checked battery voltage
  5. Remove battery leads for hard reset
There has been threads on this before but just seem to stop without any definitive answers as to what actually is causing this to happen. Like, why do people ask for help/advise and then find the solution either on their own or a third party and not report back to help other, its really a thing that annoys me to be honest and those people should be banned, lolrant over.This used to happening every now and again and a simple key recycle would have resolve so any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated before I go and purchase a new screen etc. as Im not 100% sure that it is that due to that it sometimes functions as normal or by pressing the button illuminate the screen fine.Thanks

Old 07-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Just want to give the forum a quick update in case any others have or are having the same issue.

In my case,

Turns out that the potentiometer within the display flip up mechanism is on its way out and seems to be giving out to much resistance which in turn is making the car think the display is being restricted and closes again.

It's a small part but finding one is the hard thing, it's not a serviceable part as far as i can see, there no Mercedes part number on it, as its part of the whole unit.

hopefully come across a scrapped one, the hunt goes on.

thanks for all of the advice.