Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Short Ram Intake. Well it has

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Default Update on Short Ram Intake. Well it has

been a couple of weeks since I fabricated and installed the SRI. I made a few modifications since, nothing big, just secured the pipe with a bracket and changed the K&N filter with anothe K&N that also takes in air in front as well as the sides. I still have the bottom of the OEM air box, as I have until the end of July before my Starmark warranty runs out, so if there is a problem, I can always swap out the SRI for the OEM filter and cover. The cars seems to perform better, especially over 3K rpm's, fuel mileage has improved, gaining about 2 mpg on 91 octane. I still have more modification, the brackets don't hold the intake pipes ridged enough for my taste, problem is, there is no convenient stop for a shorter bracket, I had to do some bending of the bracket as the closes I could get attach it was to the screw that holds the oil dipstick in place. I might have to use a cable tie up toward where SRI connects to the MAS. I'll keep you posted and post more pics.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Default RE: Update on Short Ram Intake. Well it has

Odd. I wonder why MPG increased by 2?

Old 06-05-2005, 03:10 PM

The only other reason I can think of is I switched from Shell 93 to Sunoco 91 about a month ago? These intakes are suppposed to increase mileage, but I have never had one of any type ie CAI, SRI that improved mileage. I never loss any mpg's with these devices. If it weren't so hot today I would take it over to the former Air Force base in town and race around the tarmack. But this weather is not good for performance.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:56 PM

These intakes are suppposed to increase mileage...
That's a common misconception. Whenever you increase performance, you decrease economy. High-flow intakes increase performance, hence there's a loss in economy. That's the way the real world works, no matter what anyone tells you or no matter what you think.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:13 PM

I don't think or believe anything, about increased fuel economy with a performance mod, as the two are oxymorons. But I am getting better mileage with Sunoco gas then Shell, no two ways about it. I also changed the cone filter to a larger one, and one with a front as well as side intake, believe it or not it is not as noisy as the cheapo I bought to see if the thing would work. Now I am going to bore out the TB install larger injectors, and fuel pump. Only kidding, I really don't want a hot rod Mercedes. But I do like the rams and Cai systems better then most stock systems. Mercedes as you probably know does have a better OEM system then most cars. But I like to experiment with cars.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:08 AM

What do you mean by MB has a "better OEM system then [sic] most cars?" If you mean MB OEM intakes flow more air than most other cars, I disagree. They probably flow the same or less. Over-engineering the intake means less airflow. The designers make "safe" intakes that are a compromise of maximum airflow and maximum protection from debris and water ingestion.

You can't have it all. You either have an "unsafe" racing-type intake that flows the maximum possible air volume without regard for stopping water and all but the largest debris, or you have a "safe" compromise that protects the engine from all debris and water but that allows less airflow. All car manufacturers choose the latter for their street cars. That means airflow volume can be improved on all factory intakes.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 PM

One thing on the Mercedes intake I think is a improving over other cars I have owned is, the air intake horn is right behind the radiator so, cooler air should be entering the box, in theory. There filter is not very efficient, that is why I use K&N's.

I agree and disagree with your second paragraph, I fell you can make a "safe" intake that flows more air, without the water problems,or debris. Also the two stage intake on the V6 is more efficient then most cars.. Also, if I were building a "race engine" I wouldn't stop at the intake, I'd bore out the TP, larger FI's and fuel pump, a more efficient exhaust manifold and exhaust system. I have had many cars with Ram intakes, CAI, etc and never had any problems with them. I was talking to a person over the weekend and he said I should ad a fine spray of water so that it hits the RAM's SS pipe to cool down the air. I have seen these on turbo cars, but a bit much for my taste. All in all your correct, as the world we live in, is full of compromise. One more point, by adding the larger K&N cone filter, the car seems to run more efficiently. I am going on a trip to the UMass Medical Center on Wednesday, about an 80 miles round trip, my wife is accompying me as I can't drive for more then 1/2 hour, anyway this will be a good test to see if the intake holds up on a mostly highway trip. I am also going to monitor my mileage. When I had a BMW, they had a mpg indicator built in, nice tool.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:55 PM

You have a goofy habit of taking off on weird tangents when you try to defend your outlandish statements.

The air behind the radiator is hotter than the air in front of it. That's a fact. You don't want to get air from behind it.

The higher the airflow of an intake, the less effective it becomes at rejecting water and debris. That's a fact. Like I said, it doesn't matter what you think.

Who the Hell said you sould stop at the intake if you were building a race engine? What is that dumb *** statement of yours about and why did you include it? Jesus!

Since you're pretending to be a know-it-all car guy, I'll tell you that you don't know what you're talking about if you stop with your list of mods for a race engine. You sound like a high school kid who learned a few buzz words and is trying to impress his girlfriend.

Quit trying to fool me, airhead.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 AM

I am not going to lower myself to your level of intelligence by defending myself.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM

You already tried to defend yourself, [sm=smiley35.gif].