Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Shock Absorber and Spring Coilover options?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Default Shock Absorber and Spring Coilover options?

Hello,

I have a 1998 c280 Benz. I just found out that my front right spring coilover is broke. I was going to replace the front shock absorbers and spring coilovers and was wondering if it is okay to just replace the front and not the back?

I was thinking about ordering the Blistein shock absorber for the sport version (my car is the sport vs).

I do not see where I can just buy springs for the front. They seem to come in 4's (front and back together only). Also, what springs should I go with? Stock ones (and where can I get stock ones) or should I go with brand name ones, more sporty?

Thanks for suggestions and tips!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Default New issue....

I just spoke today with my local Mercedes dealership service department. They recommended me to not buy any aftermarket "Springs" as the they may affect the alignment in a weird way that may not be correctable during an alignment.

So, would I be okay with buying Blistein shock absorbers and using mercedes stock springs for the front?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Default Shocks

I had worn shocks on the back of my 03 coupe and shopped online. They listed Bilstein and other vendors. Seemed like too many choices but after searching the manufacturers web sites, I found that Bilstein actually produces OEM shocks and struts for MB.

Next was the difference between TC / HS / Sport. I learned that TC shocks are the softest shocks, HD are more firm, and the Sport are made to go along with aftermarket spring kits which drop the car closer to the ground.

In your case, you need to decide if you want the car to stay 'factory' or to drop it. Dropping it was frowned on by my mechanic too, as it does change settings in your alignment. He also knows the limits of an old guys back!

Once you know the way to go, I would contact TireRack and see which spring replacements fit your need, and then match your shocks to those springs.

For what it's worth, the HD's were the perfect solution on my car. Wow...what a difference in the curves, but with a very comfortable ride. I left the original springs in and only changed the rear shocks.

Long winded answer but I hope it helps a bit -good luck!

Last edited by bassmith; 10-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by milo55041
I just spoke today with my local Mercedes dealership service department. They recommended me to not buy any aftermarket "Springs" as the they may affect the alignment in a weird way that may not be correctable during an alignment.

So, would I be okay with buying Blistein front shock absorber and using mercedes stock springs for the front?

Thanks
yes you can.. i hope your car is not for road racing, where we have to change both sides, we could be way wrong, and make our problem worse.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 08-01-2010 at 12:49 PM.