Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

No Child Lock in Mercedes C320-2004 model

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Default No Child Lock in Mercedes C320-2004 model

Hi all,

I have a C320 4matic 2004 model.

Did anyone of you know that Mercedes does NOT have a Child Lock mechanism.

What i mean is "If your child is big enough and is sitting in the back seat, he/she can open the car just by pulling the lock handle".

There is no mechism of safety that restricts or prevents the child from not opening the car from the rear accidently.

Japanese cars usually have a lever(which is called the Child Lock setting) on both sides of the rear door, which when set, will disable the person in the rear seat from opening the car.

Only someone from the outside can open the car.

And MERCEDES is called the SAFEST CAR in all regards.

Let me know if i am wrong or otherwise.
Thanks,
Cooldude.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Default RE: No Child Lock in Mercedes C320-2004 model

My 2006 C230 has child-proof locks in the rear doors. There is a small lever in the end of the door where the lock is. To activate, the lever should be in the up position. To release push the latch down.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Did anyone of you know that Mercedes does NOT have a Child Lock mechanism.
they do have.

And MERCEDES is called the SAFEST CAR in all regards.
mercedes-benz got:
8 airbags
emergency tensioning retractors on up to 3 stages
it got ESP
it got ASR
it got ABS
it got 4 crumple zone
it got Brake Assist System
it got crash sensor which shuts off the fuel
it closes the window and sunroof milliseconds before accident...leaving 2 inch opening for airbag gas to escape.
it got headrest activation to prevent your neck from breaking.
it adjust the seat upright milliseconds before impact.
it got night vision to see clearly at night
it inflates the side of multi-contour seat milliseconds before accident to straighten you up.
it got rescue markings for cutting to get you out
it got E-call
it got gps location system
it got first aid kit
it got self brake when rolling downhill or if you open the door
it got retractable belt buckles with seat belt warning.
it got tire inflation warning
it got.... so many many other functions that makes me think that you got it wrong.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Your car may have it . Mine does not... Hence i wrote this post for 2 reasons .
1. to make people aware
2. to ask for an alternative.

I am not saying it as a compaint or in a bad manner but i did not believe it when i first found out and CONFIRMED the same with my dealer.

I love my MERCEDES too and i really like to drive it.

TRY doing this and you will believe what i mean.
Have someone in the backseat of your car and (not your child please) preferably your friend, and turn on your car and go for a ride and when you raise for 20 miles and above it self locks. So far so good.

Now ask your friend to open the rear door and he/she will NOT be able to open it.
Now ask your friend to pull the lock pin upwards and then ask your friend to open the rear door and it OPENS.

You think your child cannot perform this simple feat of pulling the door lock pin upwards and then opening the door ?????

Thanks,
cooldude.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Teach ur child not to touch it. When i was little my parents drove Subarus with the child safty locks never used them because i was taught not to open the door. I am not being rude but a little parenting goes farther than any saftey feature.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:17 PM

You are right . Teaching the child is better than having the safety feature.
The debate is not about that although.

What are the things that can be done BEFORE the accident HAPPENS ???? not AFTER.
Why do we child proof our house ????
To avoid the accident - correct.

FYI - There are special door pins available which cannot be pulled. They dont get raised so children cannot even pull them. A simple solution to such a complex problem.

Thanks,
cooldude.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 PM

Blaming parents works for their own kids. What if the driver is a soccer mom and some other dumb *** parent doesn't teach their kid not to open the door while the car is moving... and their kid does? It's absolutely not a safety feature if a young child can easily defeat it.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thats a good idea on the door pins.

Good point Lug about the other parents child never thought of that one i guess cause when i was a child i never rode in other cars than with my parents so it never crossed my mind.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Well, I don't understand why some cars would have a child safety lock and some not--especially a 2004 model. Are you certain you're looking in the right place for a manual lock out lever? What about the owner's manual--have you looked inside it for info?

I noticed you said the dealer confirmed that your car didn't have this option, but that's what they always say when they don't know the answer... and a lot of times they don't. They usually do a lot of farting around first, though, that ends up costing you thousands of dollars before they finally say, "It's supposed to be that way."

The feature that locks the doors at a certain speed isn't for child safety. That's to keep bad guys like carjackers out of the car.

I suppose you could cut or remove the door pins. Remove the panels and take a look. Only problem is whoever is back there will be stuck in there if there's an accident. But they'd be stuck anyway if your car had a manual lock out lever and you forgot to "unlock" it after using it with your kids.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Hi all,

Nowhere in the owners manual is there a mention of settings for Child lock.

I dont see any lever which can be set on the side of my rear door. I will take a picture and try to attach it later in the post.

Also another observation....

NO AUTO LOCK feature - atleast in my 2004 C320 4matic .

I happened to notice this right when i bought the car and read the manual.

I usually park my car in the train station and sometimes used to forget to lock it since i am in a hurry to catch the train.... early moring rush rush....

You would expect that if you happen to FORGET to lock the car it will lock after a few mintues - MERCEDES SECURITY .... Right........WRONG......It will keep the car unlocked........try it....

The only time it auto locks itself - so called autolock feature, is if you have a locked car and you unlock it using your remote and if there is no activity on an unlocked car, then it will auto lock itself after 45 secs.

Solution:
I always make sure and remember to lock my car - it only takes a few seconds....

cooldude....

Quick Reply: No Child Lock in Mercedes C320-2004 model