Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes C Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/)
-   -   Looking at ’01 C240- any issues to look out for? (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/looking-%E2%80%9901-c240-any-issues-look-out-29254/)

EricV 05-08-2008 02:11 PM

Looking at ’01 C240- any issues to look out for?

Sorry all, I’m sure these posts get old. I am at work and going to look at this car in the morning- also have the dealer go over it. So, sorry for taking the low road here, time is of the essence. J Thanks in advance for this great forum!

Here’s what I know. 2001 C240 6-speed w/ sport package, 58K on it for 11,500. All dealer maintained, 2nd owner, w/ all maintenance since new done at our local dealer, who is doing the pre-purchase inspection and can provide records. Service mgr (friend of a friend) says he’ll fax me the results of the inspection in the morning. Owner says he bought the 6 speed wanting it, but his wife hates it- they’re looking for a wagon with an auto now. He sounds like a true enthusiast, I believe him. Also has new tires and recent oil change. Doesn’t sound as though this guy has skimped on anything.

So- are there known issues I need to look out for? I’ve read the MAF can be a trouble spot, but in the big pic small beans. Anything else? I need something reliable, and have always had Audi’s and BMW- I really would like to try an MB (have a few friends w/ them, and really love them.)

Huge, huge thanks all!

Eric

C280 SPORT 05-08-2008 04:38 PM

RE: Looking at ’01 C240- any issues to look out for?

The W203 C Class is a realy good car. But like with any car you can get a bad one. I have owned many Mercedes and what I would look out for the most is to make sure the AC/ Heat system work good and to look and see if everything on the interior is working.

EricV 05-08-2008 09:02 PM

Thanks, I gotta admit though...

...the more I read about this year of the 240, the '01, the more apprehensive I get. I've seen lots of horror stories on electrical and virtually evrything else. Now I've had German cars all my life so I'm certainly not scared of them, but I do need reliability w/out exhorbitant repair costs. Just not sure. Guess it's worth the 100 dollar splurge on the pre-purchase inspection and also look at it's maintenance history very carefully.

All that said, it seems an awful lot of car for about 11K.

Thanks!

Eric

C280 SPORT 05-08-2008 10:11 PM

RE: Thanks, I gotta admit though...

Well its like I always say. You can get a bad one with anycar. A friend of mine bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra truck and with not even 1,000 miles on it, it stalled out and he had to call AAA, AC/Heat broke for some reason and he had some electrical issues. Point being with any car you can a bad one. With this C240 I would get it inspected realy well.

will3hawks 05-09-2008 04:49 PM

RE: Thanks, I gotta admit though...

Sounds like a decent car for the money. can you get an extended warranty on it? is it a Certified Pre-Owned car? If the answers to my questions are yes and yes, i'd be tempted to take the chance.

Regards,

Will