Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Steering Wheel Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Default Left Steering Wheel Control

I just bought a 2002 C230 Kompressor (hatchback) and my left control button on my steering wheel is not working. When I press the button the "pages" on my dash are not changing, i.e. from the odometer view to the radio view, etc. (So I can't change the time on my clock)... I used to have a CLK so I am used to the controls and they are definitely not working on this car. Does anybody know what the problem may be? Please help...! Thank you!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Default RE: Left Steering Wheel Control

the buttons need to be replaced. they come in a pair the left buttons and the right. just remove the airbag and then there are torx screws holding them in. easy fix.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Do you have a step-by-step way to remove the airbag? Or a site that will tell me? Is removing the airbag and replacing it safe?

The right button is working, so do I have to buy both the left and right button? If so, that's okay. So, replacing the left button should theoretically fix the problem... correct? LOL.. I'm a chic, so if I fix this problems, my guys are gonna be impressed...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 PM

you need to remove the airbag which is easy to do. 2 torx screws on the back of the steering wheel at 3 and 9 oclock. they are deep inside the wheel so you need a long torxbit about 2-3 inches long. im not sure of the size. i can email you tomarrow when i get to work and let you know, if i remember!! when the airbag is out just disconnect the airbag wires from the airbag. keep key off, but it will not explode in your face if it is on or off, you will just set the srs light if you dont keep the key off. I believe the butons are held in with 2 torx screws. thats it. when you install the buttons be sure that they are not moved too much when tightening the screws because they will then stick when you push the buttons. any questions just ask. good luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Thank you SO much for your help! Yes, please let me know tomorrow what size torxbit it is, so I can go buy one and get this problem fixed!

One more quick thing, do you know of any online stores that may sell the button(s) for a good price? (I need black)

Thanks again!!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM

I just went out to my car to look at those screws, that should bean easy part. The left button does properly click when pushed, so are you still sure that replacing that button will fix the problem? Do those buttons have sensors in them or something?

Sorry, I am just analytical (and my car didn't come with a manual, whichI will be buying) so I guess I just want to fully diagnose the problem and understand why replacing the button will fix it... [8D]

No biggie if you don't totally know! I REALLY APPRECIATE your help this far! You're my new life-saver!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 PM

I just did a wheel button on a 2001 E class and the left side up arrow didnt work. I dont remember the price. you do have to buy them as a set. Im almost positive that will fix it.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM

you can try partsbin.com then go to parts, then mercedes.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM

Thank you so much for all of your help! I'll let you know how it turns out... Let's cross our fingers!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 PM

I got the part # (22534) from my local Mercedes dealership, but they want $250 for it.... It's harder than hell to find online. What is it exactly called? I've been searching for steering wheel button... LOL! But that doesn't seem like it's technical name to me!

Quick Reply: Left Steering Wheel Control