Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much damage until it's totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Default How much damage until it's totaled?

Hi there,
This is my first post and probably not a good welcome but I was in an accident the other day in my 2009 C350 4-matic and I am wondering how much damage this car would have to take before it is considered totaled. The car Hit a tree off a dark country road in a 90 degree bend going about 30-40 KM/h. The tree hit right in the middle between the two headlights. No charges or bodily injury but I am still awaiting word of whether the car is repairable or totaled. I live in ontario and the car is a lease. I will upload pictures later but basically this is the damage I observed:

-Airbags deployed
-Windshield cracked
-Hood folded
-upper and lower grille shattered
-Bumper smashed and hanging outward (ripped away from fenders)
-Radiator bent inward and leaking coolant from below
-Passenger front wheel was knocked back, steering didn't seem off but the tire was pressed against the fender.
-Front right fender may be bent
-fog-lights blew out
-Skid plate under motor shattered at the front where it impacted the tree.

The car started and was driven back onto the road (5ft) but the rubbing tire and leaking coolant made it undrivable. The rad fan (or what was left of it) could also be heard clacking off the back of the debris from the rad. The headlights did not break. There was no check engine light on... yet, but I assume the leaking coolant would change that if the car was run for much longer. The only warning messages were front right and left srs failures (i assume this is because the airbags deployed) and to book for service.

I was too shaken to attempt to pry the hood open to take a look or look under the car for obvious frame or engine damage.

I come to this forum to see if anyone is experienced with the value/damage of this vehicle and possibly an educated guess whether or not it's fixable.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 AM

only a body shop can tell you. I was hit from behind when my car was 3 months old, and I was certain the car would be totalled because the damage looked very bad (trunk, bumper, both quarter panels were damaged). The shop guy told me it was "not even close" to being totalled, and repairs were done for $12k (paid by other guy's insurance). Without seeing whether suspension mounting points on the unibody are damaged, etc., it is impossible to say. Stuff like the hood, grill, fog light, bumper, radiator, skid plate, tie rods, etc. are not that hard to fix. An insurer will total the car when repairs are something like 1/2 the value of the car. The important thing is that no one was hurt.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM

damage total = $25,000.00 CAD

don't know if insurance will total it or not but it is fixable according to the shop. Frame is fine but the aluminum "sub frame" around the engine that holds the re-bar in place is bent and apparently can be straightened out just fine. Also the transmission coolant hose is punctured (reason for leaking). The rest is just all bolt on parts. Engine is fine.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM

$25k..... Its totaled. I'm working on a flooded GL450 that needs 32K worth of repairs and insurance told me it was totaled today. Good luck!