Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes C Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/)
-   -   Check Engine Sign ? (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-c-class-10/check-engine-sign-6914/)

rohitsagar 09-23-2005 12:45 AM

Check Engine Sign ?

My Merc C 240 (2002), 34000 Miles, Next Service after 8400 Miles suddenly started showing CHECK ENGINE Sign. I checked the fuel cap it was properly screwed. I drove for 10 miles to mercedes dealer and booked an appointment for weekend, asked them is it ok if I drove for another couple of days (20 miles total) before getting it fixed. Drove another 1 day and then got if refueled. Still it was showing check engine. 1 day after it went off. I mean Check Engine dissappeared. What can be possible problem ?

Another thing my License Plate lamps are blowing a lot. I have replaced around 2 times the lamp, everytime I race my Merc a bit at night Check Lamp has to show up. Any ideas why ?

So I need help for to checks
CHECK ENGINE ? Why it came and Why is dissappeared ?
CHECK LICENSE PLATE LAMP ? Why it blows so often ?

Anyhow will update you guys here once I get it checked from my Merc dealer. My car is under warranty so no problem.

regards

C280 wizard 09-23-2005 12:59 AM

RE: Check Engine Sign ?

Check engine lights will go out after so many start up of the engine, howeve the fault code is stored if you cap is tight I bet it is the MAS

You probably have a short on the license plate blub, if you ambitious get off the glass cover and you should be able to unscrew the unit see if any wires have broken insulation, If so Tape it for now or cut a splice a new piece, if not they a tech will have to check the line back tot he fuse box to whatever it is tied into to find the shor. Are you putting in the bulb correctly some of these bulbs only go in one way and if force them the wrong way, it could damage the socket and or wires. Check the nibs on the bulb one is usually lowe then the other, and look inside the holder and match them that way. low to low high to high.

rohitsagar 09-23-2005 02:36 AM

Hi 280 wizard regarding Check Engine, as you mention something related to MAS. What is this MAS. Can you give Some details about it ? Is it repair costly, just curious to know as although my car is under warranty ?

regards

C280 wizard 09-23-2005 10:44 AM

MASS AIR SENSOR. It is located at the next of the air box, where it connects to the rest of the intake. No fixable. If that is the problem. I would go to dealer and have the codes read first, as these MAS aren't cheap.
Also the MAS monitor the air flow for proper air fuel mixture.

rohitsagar 09-25-2005 12:34 AM

Gave my car to the dealer for repair. Lets c what they find out. I had a long list of some very very minor issue. So told them to keep it this weekend,will take back on Monday. Will update you all guys here once I get it back. Thanks a lot to you all.
Nice grp keep it up....

regards

rohitsagar 09-27-2005 03:09 AM

Got my car back today. Dealer said there was no problem with Check Engine. The wires behind had got short and that is why is showed Check Engine. He put new wires and said all is ok now. I had another problem of License Bulbs getting fuse very often. I use to see "Check License Plate Lamp" very often, he again said said the wires were gone bad. He fixed that too. And last , Stinking AC. He said the compresor where it sucks air in was blocked with AC dust and he put a new filter or something. Now it is perfectly ok. I smelled it really was. No false smell and was perfect. License Plate lamps were working, Check Engine was anyhow not showing now, so I assume all should be ok. But still wanted a opinion from you experts out here. That what ever he said does it make sense or he fooled me.

All expense were covered by warranty so I did not pay a peny :)

I also asked him to fix the mileage ( Miles Per Gallon ) of the car. My C240 (4 door sedan) gives around 16 to 18 in the city and 28 (Max) on the Highway. Do you think it is ok. He said the tyre air pressure was not OK, it was more so u got less average. I was not so happy with this answer.

Does any one has a clue if these figures of my car are ok, bad or good ?

regards

Franchise 10-24-2005 04:58 AM

I have a 04 c230k. I'm going through the same issue, with my left license plate bulb keeps going out once a month. I think it's cause I use my fog lights too much. As far as check engine light. It might be that, your engine oil level might be low. When I pushed my car really hard. It did that twice, 1st when I raced it. 2nd when I drove to Las Vegas. It went away once my car cooled down. Plus when you measure your oil level you should be on leveled ground.

shauntx 10-24-2005 01:17 PM

I had to get my MAS replaced last week (02 C240).

It was going to be around $800, but the service rep is a badass and she always takes care of me. she got benz to cover the part, and i paid the labor. $335.

shauntx 10-24-2005 01:28 PM

"gives around 16 to 18 in the city and 28 (Max)"

that's about what I get.

mattc230 10-28-2005 05:04 PM

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT MANY TIMES IS FROM THE FUEL CAP NEEDING REPLACED. MY 2000 C230 K had that and I also have a Chevy Tahoe that did the same thing. Give it a try.