Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Vent - 1999 C230 Kompressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Default Center Vent - 1999 C230 Kompressor

I'm trying to remove the center vent to get to a switch. I can't find any screws, but I've located the locking tabs at the top. I've tried pulling the vent while prying the tabs, but it won't budge. It seems to be fastened somewhere else. Can anyone tell me the secret. I've searched, but the solutions don't seem to apply to my model.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Default RE: Center Vent - 1999 C230 Kompressor

Hi the locking tabs alow the vent to pivot beyond normal use allowing small access to behind the vent where you will see torx type screws. from there i can only assume these screws will remove vent. This is only a theory I have not actually tried it but do believe this will work. good luck.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 AM

Sorry reread your post noting you said tabs on top, the tabs i am referring to are on the side of the vent. thre is a pin that limits the motion of the vent lifting tab will allow the vent to pivot further upward allowing small access to behind the loovers.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM

SpecialK,

Thanks very much for your reply. Apparently there are different versions of center panels and different ways of getting into them. I was trying to get to the ASR switch by removing the vent, but the screws you and others have mentioned weren't there. In case it will help someone else, here's what I foundby trial and error:

The bottom screws that hold the air vent in place are underneath the plastic (simulated wood) trim panel, which must be removed first. To remove the trim panel, you first have to remove the radio, ash tray, andstowage compartments. To remove these, you first have to remove the plastic trim panel around the gear shift. This panel just snaps into place and can be removed by opening the cup holder/stowage compartment and pulling up on the rear of the panel. There's a smaller piece of rubberized plastic trim that surrounds the gear shift lever that comes out, too. It also just snaps back into place, so no worries. Next,pull out the stowage tray that sits just forward of the gear shiftto reveal 2 screws that hold the ashtray in place. Removethese ashtray screws and, above the ashtray, 2 screws that hold the eyeglass compartment. Pull out the eyeglass compartment and the ashtray. Then, the radio must come out. Mine needed a pair of tools called "DIN slot tools" that are inserted into2 slots in the front of the radio to release it.Not having these tools, I made a pairusing 2 of those metal pieces that cover the empty slots in the back of a desktop PC. I simply cut them down to a width slightly smaller than theradio slots, then tapered the ends to resemble a right triangle and smoothed the edges with sandpaper. Wheninserting these tools, the "hypotenuse" goes toward thecenter of the radio, such that as they are inserted, they gradually push the 2 levers thatlock the radio into the "DIN slot" rails back into the radioto release it. For a guide, you can find pictures of the real tools by Googling. With the radio out, you can wiggle the trim paneldown and out. The switchesare attached to it and come out with it, negating my original need to remove the air vent! However, if your objective is toremove the vent, the 2 screws are now accessible. If anyone is interested in more info, I would be happy to add some photos of this procedure and of the radio removal tools that I made.

Regards,
Don

Old 01-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Nice writeup. I am just glad to hear you don't have to do the big dismantle. I thought you might when I first read the need to do something with the vents. If you want to read something scary that is a common issue with these cars, read this (and bookmark it for future reference):

http://www.corpfr.com/c280/Dashboard.htm

Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM

this kind of helped me. didn't get my center a/c vents out but i was replacing my aircon unit. found out it wasn't nec to remove a/c vents thanks to write saying about din slots. i made my own out of sheet metal i had laying around and used them to remove me old aircon unit and replaced. thanks.