Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cd changer is skipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Default cd changer is skipping

I have a factory cd changer and even when the car isn't moving the cd changer will skip. What should I do?

Old 08-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: cd changer is skipping

replace it?

Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM

Get to Circuit City, Walmart, CompUSA and get a CD changer cleaner. It is a kit with a CD and some have a fluid for cleaning. I have a couple of CD burners, players in my home system and in my C280 6 CD changer. Used the CD cleaner tool and most likely the skip will disappear. If you never cleaned you player before use it two, three times. Most likely the skip will disappear. I've "fixed" this problem with both my home and car CD players and also DVD burner and player. Also, not all CD's are the same, I've had CD's skip on my car player and not on my home players and vice verse. If you have a CD player in your home, try the ones that skip in the car, if they don't then the Laser pickup is dirty. If you have a home system clean them also. These kits are cheap Walmart has them for less then $10. Let me know if it works. Also, I have found on skipping CD I reburn them on my computer, I use Nero Burning OEM. www.nero.com, also with Nero, you don't need a music Cd, The software will burn music on a any CD and it will play on any CD player, how they do this is a mystery, but it works, and you save a couple of bucks buying CD-R and not music CD's This is IMHO the best of this type of software. Its buffer feature will usually get the skip out. Also, make sure the CD's are clean. plan soap and water will work and a microfiber cloth to dry. But wash and dray them up and down starting from the where the hole is to the edge of the CD, as they are not like old record, CD are burn from the down to up and not around like old records wear cut. Also, the present generation of CD's only burn a surfacing coating on the disc, not on the disc itself. However the next generation will burn into the CD for longer playing life. One last point, if the CD is scratch it will skip, you can buy a repair kit to get light scratches out, I have one and had some luck with it, if the CD is scratch thru the coating, like car paint that is scratch to the primer or metal, then chuck the CD and buy a new one.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. I've known those cd cleaner kits are available but just wasn't sure how and if they worked since nothing actually touches the disk during play. Thanks again

Old 08-07-2005, 05:16 PM

The small brushes you will see on the CD cleaner disc will gently brush off any dust of dirtt that has collected with use. There are two sets of brushes on most of these CD's

Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Check you Vertical and Horizontal adjustment on side of unit?? .... maybe someone didn't set them right

Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by tomard
Check you Vertical and Horizontal adjustment on side of unit?? .... maybe someone didn't set them right
How do set this up?