Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C240 aircon question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Default C240 aircon question

Help. I can't seem to get the floorboard vent to STOP!

I almost always wear flipflops, and my feet freeze out. I have the non-lcd screen aircon setup. Anyone have ideas to make that floorboard vent turnoff? (I've tried turning that dial on the right all the way to the Up Arrow setting....l)

Old 06-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Default RE: C240 aircon question

I have a 99 C280, with climate control, when on auto, most of the AC cooled air blows out the dash vents, but there is also some blowing out of the floor vent and the front defroster vents, this is probably by design. The only way I've found not to get any air from the floor vents is to set the direction button on the arrow up or to the defroster, you will still get some air from the dash however. My suggestion by a pair of shoes.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 PM

haha. wow. kinda pricey car to not be able to turn off the floor vents

Old 06-25-2005, 01:04 PM

It's a flow thru ventilation thing, always keep air moving inside the car, it is supposed to help the driving sensation? If you turn the system off, there is a small amount of air coming out of the left and right dash ducts? To keep the side windows clear?

Old 06-25-2005, 01:52 PM

I too first thought that my vent system was not working properly. Air comes out of floor vent though selector was not chosen for "Down Arrow". Air also comes from face vents no matter what vent selection you choose!

This sort of thing is a case of disobedience that is annoying at least....and sometimes makes me want to chop the car with an ax to pieces.

Such design idea is based on a communist or **** regime philosophy "We know what is good for you." Ironically, you will find more of these issues in Detroit cars where the driver has no control over some simple things....such as...there is no switch to turn the (DRL) lights off.

A Jap car usually is very obedient. You set the vent at FACE, it will only come out of FACE vents, you set it at FLOOR, it will only come out of FLOOR. Only a handful of very few American-built Corollas and Camrys exhibit a symptom where you cannot turn off the DRL.

Remember a time, when Detroit decided that the right external rear-view mirror is not needed? All these right rear-view mirrors started to disappear on Detroit-made cars. Remember a time when everybody started to put automatic seat-belts? How irritating! Unless you complain real loud...they can care less.

Believe me....more and more newer cars have gone disobedient. It has become your mother, in a sense. "EAT THE BROCOOLI, IT IS GOOD FOR YOU."

Old 06-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Damn **** cars!

Old 06-25-2005, 04:21 PM

there has to be some wire i can cut that will turn off the floorboard vents completely. they are not needed!

Old 06-25-2005, 06:33 PM

Turn on the key and push your defrost button and the recirc button at the same time untill the lights start to flash back and forth. This takes them through the range to syncronize them. If this doesn't do it I'm betting the levers on the stepper motors for the footwell flaps have split and they're slipping.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:50 PM

Why not duct tape a beer on the vent? It'd be nice to always have a cold one ready and your toes would be warm, too.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Laterthatsameday
Turn on the key and push your defrost button and the recirc button at the same time untill the lights start to flash back and forth. This takes them through the range to syncronize them. If this doesn't do it I'm betting the levers on the stepper motors for the footwell flaps have split and they're slipping.
At first, I thought it was just designed that way. Then I read that it could be due to a broken stepper motor lever. The symptom of that is a clicking noise when you turn the dial that determines the blowing vents. I could not hear any clicking sound. I did as you suggested above, and to my surprise, I noticed air stopped blowing to my feet during the test/reset cycle. The only way to stop the cycle is to turn off the car. So I did. But after starting the car again, air kept blowing to my feet, regardless of what position on the dial I select. I have no idea what the issue could be.