Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2001 C240 - Guide for Fuel Filter Change D.I.Y.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Default 2001 C240 - Guide for Fuel Filter Change D.I.Y.

You can get a Fuel filter for your c240 at any Autozone / Advance Auto <-- (10% Military Discount).

This guide should work for any C240 between 99-2005.

Tools Needed:

1 Torx Socket
1/4" Socket
10mm Socket
Box that the filter comes in.
Drip Pan
Safety Glasses
Wire Cutter Plyers
Paper & Pen - I like to make diagrams, so when people call me I don't forget how it goes together.

Parts Needed:
4 - #4 Hose Clamps
1 - Fuel Filter

Notes Before starting:

If you have a lift you can use this project will be MUCH easier. Other wise use a jack. (Block your tires)

I used a lift, When you go to remove the skid cover You cant take it off because the cover is part of the lift point.

Location of the Fuel Filter:

Just in front of the Drivers side Rear axle.

Remove your gas cap. The fuel system is a pressurized system so by removing the cap you wont have alot of fuel running everywhere.

Lift the Vehicle.

Use your 10mm socket and remove the 4 Plastic Nuts holding the left skid cover in place.

I placed my cardbox box the filter came in between the cover and the underside of the car to hold the cover down.

Use your Torx wrench and remove the single screw.

Unclamp the two upper hoses that attach to the out plastic filter holder and then lift up and it comes free.

Take wire cutter plyers and cut the left side hose clamps off. (I twisted them free and bent them back off.)

Your hoses may twist off, but mine wouldn't, SO place a flat tip screw driver between the base of the hose and the filter and pry it up till it comes free.

Once the two on the left are removed, use the same technique on the right side.

Now reinstall the hoses in reverse order.

Now apply your 4 hose clamps

Tighten with the 1/4" socket.

Reinstall the plastic filter holder and Torx Screw & Clip hoses into plastic filter holder.

Wipe up all te spilled fuel from the cover.

Reinstall the 4 Plastic 10mm Nuts for skid cover.

Remove Lift/Jacks

Reinstall Gas Cap

Start the car. (NOTE: Now that there is air in the fuel line it may take a second or two longer to start the first time. My car normally is started within a second, it took nearly 3-4 seconds to start, and considerably noticable difference. Turn off the car and start again, car should start normall)

I hope this Guide Helps!!

NeV

Old 01-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Default RE: 2001 C240 - Guide for Fuel Filter Change D.I.Y.

[sm=gears.gif]

NOTE: THIS PICTURE HAS THE NEW FILTER INSTALLED

Enjoy!

NeV

Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM

You wouldn't believe what they want for that job at the dealership.
You wonder how they pay for all those plants in the showroom???

Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Djnevok- Your instructions and photos are great, Thanks for taking the time to post them. I'm sure they will be a big help to me and other weekend mechanics.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:10 PM

I can't seem to view any pics. I have been trying to change my fuel filter. Thanks (03 C230)

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM

OK>on a C230K, jack the car up in the back and put it on jackstands that don't block the driver's side rear back where the filter is. You can actually see part of the filter on the left (driver's) side of the car back there. Take that plastic shield down as far as you want to gain access to the filter. It will be held in with a black plastic holder. Drop it down a ways and remove the clamps on the four hoses. I myself discarded them and used the easier to use stainless steel clamps you get at the auto parts store to go with the new filter. Put a pan underneath the whole thing before you do this job to catch the small amount of fuel that will leak out. Put the new filter back on the hoses just the way the old one came off and tighten the clamps. Bingo. Put the holder back on and put the plastic cover back on and you're done.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 AM

I was hoping to see a pic of which lines go where. I thouight I had ther lines figured out, but I messed them up. Now I can't seem to figure out which was the filter goes either. I usually pretty good with mechanbical stuff.
Any help would be appreciated. The car has been on jacks in the gfartage for a week.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM

OK. Look at the new fuel filter. Do you see any arrow indicating the direction of fuel flow? Or the words inlet or outlet anywhere?
The way the hoses go on the filter is pretty obvious because of the different size hoses on the car only really fit on the new filter one
way once you have the filter inlet and outlet figured out. There should be four hoses. Obviously (or perhaps not) the larger ones are
the inlet and outlet. Once you have those on the filter, the other two are much smaller and it's very obvious where they go.

If you can't figure it out by what I just said, I am willing to jack my car up, take the cover off, and take some pics for you. Only thing
with that is, you won't be able to see the different size inlets and outlets on my filter with the hoses already on it. Follow me?
If you can't figure out the fuel lines, you may have to put a pan under them and turn the ignition on VERY briefly to see the fuel pump
squirt fuel out, although I am not really recommending this.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

I just found a pic of the fuel filter online and put it in my photo gallery.
I know you can view it because I just went there and clicked on it.
It will show you the direction of flow and BOTH sides of the filter. Look at the arrow.
Put the LARGE hose from the fuel pump on the INLET side of the filter and the rest should be obvious.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM

I went to the benz dealer and they told me that the problem may be with the new filter itself. It was a bosch that I bought online. They also gave me a diagram. I followed the diagram and the bosch would work. When I was at the dealer, I bought one of their $120.00 filters and tried that one. It worked. Thanks for your help.
I also found that some of the after market products like the front O2 sensor won't work either.
As much as I hate to give them more money, I thinks I just have to get replacement parts from MB and pay the ranson.

Quick Reply: 2001 C240 - Guide for Fuel Filter Change D.I.Y.