Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 C220 CDI S203 - Excessive smoke under load and idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Question 2001 C220 CDI S203 - Excessive smoke under load and idle

Hi Guys,

I am hoping i can get some help from you all? I have a 2001 C220 CDI 6 speed W203/S203 T-model estate.

I notices that pretty much from one day to another it started giving out a lot of black smoke under load and in idle in the mornings.

My initial thoughts was Injectors (which i took out and got serviced and tested), then i also tried changing the fuel filter and air filter.but the issue remains the same.

My local mechanic says its normal but i refuse to believe it as from one day to the next it stated. I haven't noticed any loss in power, it still seems to pull well. I took it to an recommended merc mechanic and she showed me that the Swirl flaps were lose and moving about to the point the link from the survey came off. So servo is working, but not moving the flaps. He suggested we either swap them out with new (quite pricey) or just to block them off.

I have no idea what steps i should take next, or if this will cause any additional damage? A friend suggested a EGR emulator to be fitted as this will make the ECU think its all working fine, even though the linkages are off. But again, i am not sure about that, does that really work?

Please can someone help me, i am desperate to get my baby fixed and sorted out again.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! The first thing you should do is have the Mercedes mechanic pull your car's fault codes. This will give you a good idea where the issue is coming from. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any future part needs.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello and welcome to the forum! The first thing you should do is have the Mercedes mechanic pull your car's fault codes. This will give you a good idea where the issue is coming from. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any future part needs.
Hi,

Yes i have an appointment with to get the codes pulled next week. I had this done a few weeks ago as well, but the mechanic said there were no faults listed. but he is the one who showed me the swirl flaps are lose and moving this is also when the link to them from the serve came off. So the serve is working only the swirl plas are not connected to the servo now.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Tom
Hi,

Yes i have an appointment with to get the codes pulled next week. I had this done a few weeks ago as well, but the mechanic said there were no faults listed. but he is the one who showed me the swirl flaps are lose and moving this is also when the link to them from the serve came off. So the serve is working only the swirl plas are not connected to the servo now.
Does the mechanic that you're using have a Mercedes-specific scan tool or are they using a generic OBDII reader? If using a MB tool, there should be some stored codes.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:17 PM

supposedly he has the Star diagnostic tool.. so hopefully then something will show up, but the last mechanic also had this that found nothing.

Without knowledge myself, it the swirl flaps are no good or not connected, would they cause any error codes? I only ask as this is only linked to a servo motor? or if excessive smoke would the lambda sensor pic something up?

sorry for being such a noob

Old 08-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Tom
supposedly he has the Star diagnostic tool.. so hopefully then something will show up, but the last mechanic also had this that found nothing.

Without knowledge myself, it the swirl flaps are no good or not connected, would they cause any error codes? I only ask as this is only linked to a servo motor? or if excessive smoke would the lambda sensor pic something up?

sorry for being such a noob

No worries at all, we all have to start somewhere, right? Since the flaps are associated with the intake manifold, you'll likely see some error codes.