Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

elec. window & gear box oil

Old 11-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Default elec. window & gear box oil

hi all... i have a C200 komp 2002... the car was parked for 2 weeks since i was travelling i came back i found a few issues..

First of all the driver's side window won't close with a single click, i have to keep pressing on the button until it closes all the way..

Second thing when i got out of the parking i noticed there was oil leakage, it was yellow, anyway i took it to the agent and i was told the gear oil is leaking.. i tryed to mention that the gear oil is red colour but he said when its run for a while it turns yellow... anyway he said it could be the washer at the bottom leaking and he wasn't concerned...

its surprising to experience such problems in a 2002 benz and only after 50,000km

any help in both issues are highly appreciated

Thanx

Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Default RE: elec. window & gear box oil

Debates are not a good way towards the solution here. So, stop worrying about he said she said.

What you need to do is have a real mechanic look at the car under the hood, perhaps raise it up and look from beneath too.

The source of the leak can be pinpointed accurately that way.

Also, the wetness on the floor can give away what it is. If it feels greasy or oily, that is engine oil. Other fluids are more or less watery.

"Gear Oil" is not quite a precise name that tells what it is. Transmission fluid? Differential lubricant? You should know better because if the leakage is in the front part of the car, then it is NOT the lubricant from the differential.

If the leak is the transmission fluid, chances are you need major repair.

For the window, it is a matter of replacing the switch at worst. Also, benz window switches are tricky. In other sane cars, you press one click AUTO and it goes all the way UP or DOWN. In a Benz, you initiate the up and down motion first in a regular way and then proceed to that AUTO click. At least this is the way it works in my Benz.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:04 PM

theres a process to be done for resetting the electric window, i forget what it was? maby it was hold the up button once it is fully up just keep holding the butten for like 5 seconds and i think it resets it, from memory.
and how big was the oil puddle?> cos it cod of just been from a small spill last time you filled it up, or as the workshop says the drain plug dripping

Old 11-19-2005, 08:25 PM

yes, the owner's manual has directions to reset the windows.

if the leak has to do with the washer ring on the drain plug, u can replace the whole drain plug at a reasonable cost.

sometimes...tighten the drain plug to proper torque stops the leak. (happened to my 95 accord once.)

Old 11-20-2005, 04:44 PM

thanks for the reply...
when i checked the engine oil level it seemed ok but unfortunately i had to take it to the agency coz they have the tools to unplug the cover and the measuring stick to check the gear oil level, however it was within the range but it wasn't to its maximum so they added about half a litre..
i changed my engine oil a week before travelling and what i know is they don't drain the oil they use a suction.. so there should be no reason for the drain plug to be not properly tightened..

Concerning my windows, i'll check my manuals if there are any steps to reset the Auto although its only the drivers side window not functioning...

Anyway i have to thank u so much, u were very helpful, i will defintely take it to a mechanic to raise it up and check it... i'll let u guys know what happened as soon as i find out !

Thanks again!