Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 C280 dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Default 1999 C280 dying while driving

I have a 1999 C280 which will die while driving after approximately 50 miles or so. It will start up perfectly, drive beautifully, then suddenly after a while it will simply just die while driving. I will try to start to the car, the battery sounds strong but will not start. After about 10 mins of waiting it will finally start up, drive for a shorter distance than 50 miles (say 10 miles) and will die again. Wait 10 mins, starts up again and drives. While starting after waiting 10 mins it starts perfectly, while driving it drives nicely. No other problems. It seems to die just as I'm giving it a little gas.

I took it to the dealer. He said no codes are showing. He changed the battery and checked over anything he thought might be the issue...nothing showing. I took it home, same problems from above occurred. I took it back to the dealer this morning. This time he changed the camshaft sensor. I took it home and so far running nicely....however I did not cross the magic "50ish mile" mark yet.

Has the dealer really fixed it this time? Am I still in trouble? Is it going to die on me again? Has anyone experienced something similiar?

Thanks for any feedback and input anyone might have...

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Default RE: 1999 C280 dying while driving

I had a similar situation the day before yesterday with my 99 C280. I was driving the interstate in Ct when the engine stopped at 65MPH as well as everything else in the car. I pulled over to the side, thankful there was little traffic. Tried to start the car and nothing. I called Mercedes for a tow and the truck showed up in about a half hour. We all went to the local dealer. I spoke to the Service Manager and told him I couldn't leave the car and I had to get going etc. They took the car in. 45 minutes or so later the car was driven to the pickup site of the dealership. The Service Manager told me the fuse in the CPU box blew and that completely cuts off everything including limp mode, etc. The check for shorts and codes, except for the blown fuse nothing else was wrong. The cost to me was $0 as well as the tow. My car is still under Starmark until july of 05. Getting back to your situation. I have read several post on a few boards about the camshaft sensor going bad, it seems to be a problem in this model. Even though these cars are all computerized. sometimes it is still hit and miss technology that get something fixed. Without a code, the tech doesn't have a clue. so it's pick and choose until they get it right.