Slow refueling

Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 PM
Default Slow refueling

Filler pipe fills and auto cuts of the petrol pump nozzle. Fill rate is down to about 5 liter a minute. 2005 A170 W169 032*** petrol.
I also imaging that there is a degree of surging at very light throttle.

Can anyone tell me where to find the purge line for the evap canister. I am thinking that the canister is blocked with liquid petrol. Maybe this has happened because the purging is taking air rather than clearing the carbon canister.

Any help and pictures much appreciated.

Graeme Johnstone
New Zealand

Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 AM

I removed the fuel filler pipe. No special tools needed.
Wheel off.
Removed inner guard and three mount nuts of the filler pipe.
Lowered the under tray; two nuts on filler side and three bolts on the middle near the exhaust.
Loosen outboard hose clip on fuel pipe and smash a one use only MB clip on the breather pipe.

Pipe jiggles out of the body with some effort and poking the filler neck rubber surround down into the guard area.

There was no obstruction in the filler pipe or the companion return smaller tube.

However the fuel pipe into the tank has something in its throat. This is probably a roll over safety shutting valve and or float controlled fill limiter. I could see it with a mirror but it would not let a screw diver go past initially. I forced it with considerable effort and once it moved it became easy to introduce the screw driver beyond the obstruction.
Reassemble with a conventional hose clip in place of the bastorial one. The rubber grommet at the top of the filler tube aught to have fitted with the trick of a couple of loops of string around it to pull the top rubber into place. Naturally this failed and I had to resort to the use of a blunt instrument to encourage the rubber to its correct position. A ring spanner worked perfectly and there was no need for rubber grease. Checking this I have put some petrol in at full speed from petrol station pump. The slow fill problem is gone. If it comes back again I will perform the same operation but the free up of the obstruction will be made with a wreaking bar.

Still looking for surging, ESP, and Tyre pressure monitoring.

G