Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes AMG Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-amg-class-18/)
-   -   Hey guys, new, buying SL55AMG (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-amg-class-18/hey-guys-new-buying-sl55amg-6067/)

herbiefrog 08-10-2005 06:24 PM

Hey guys, new, buying SL55AMG

Hi there, first post (other than the newbie intro. I'm thinking of buying an SL55amg. I have the Audi TT 3.2 DSg but am really disappointed withthe seats. I get some back trouble and the seat is just cr*p. No lumbar suppor at all.

So looked around, I was going to buy an SLK55 but we went to the showroom and rather liked the "big brother", the SL.

So, is that a nice car? Does it have lumbar support in the seat? i have two cushoins in the TT and they just don't do the job.

I have to drive a long way to work every day, so want something that can do the journey effortlessly, the TT does that, but I want to arrive in great condition and it doesn't do that.

I was going to spend gbp 55k and that was ok, now it looks like i'm going to spend 100k, is it really worth it?

It's just a car, isn't it?

regards Bob

corkscrew 08-17-2005 11:52 AM

RE: Hey guys, new, buying SL55AMG

ORIGINAL: herbiefrog

Hi there, first post (other than the newbie intro. I'm thinking of buying an SL55amg. I have the Audi TT 3.2 DSg but am really disappointed withthe seats. I get some back trouble and the seat is just cr*p. No lumbar suppor at all.

So looked around, I was going to buy an SLK55 but we went to the showroom and rather liked the "big brother", the SL.

So, is that a nice car? Does it have lumbar support in the seat? i have two cushoins in the TT and they just don't do the job.

I have to drive a long way to work every day, so want something that can do the journey effortlessly, the TT does that, but I want to arrive in great condition and it doesn't do that.

I was going to spend gbp 55k and that was ok, now it looks like i'm going to spend 100k, is it really worth it?

It's just a car, isn't it?

regards Bob

If you are putting in a lot of miles every day I would go for the SL. I have both....one in BKK and one in the USA. I find that the seats in the SL are more comfortable.

herbiefrog 08-19-2005 08:32 AM

Since I wrote that, I went for a test drive in an SL500. actually when I say test drive, we went round the block and then I came back and spent about 20 minutes just testing the seat.

So yesterday, my salesman, who after a shakey start (losing my first car, finding me a pretty basic one, has really put more into it and he came up with a "fully loaded" SL55, in the country, and it's now mine.

Well, it will be on 1 Sept. It is iridium silver, with alpaca grey nappa interior, glass roof, etc, actually the only thing it doesn't have is:

1. distronic (not much call for cruise control over here, unless you've got a plod behind, and it has cruise anyway)
2. illuminated sills (that's ok because i'm not a pimp )
3. Roof rack (just what I want on my SL, although it has got the fitting flaps should I take up skiing)
4. SL luggage bag (told gf she can buy me one for xmas)
5. Fire extinguisher (I probably would have ordered that)

so, almost can't wait, 13 days to go..... : ) ) )

herbie

dondas 08-19-2005 11:23 AM

Nice choice.

I was lucky enough to spend a day on a race track with a whole stack of AMG vehicles to drive. The ones which were my favourites were the SL55 and believe it or not, the C55. They had all the amg55's except the ML, and an SL65 and CL65. But as far as overall performance, I liked the SL55 and C55

It took about 3 days for my smile to fade, and for my cheeks to stop hurting.

I hope your happy together ;-}

herbiefrog 09-04-2005 02:04 PM

Hi guys, well I've had the Sl55 for a few days now, it also had the AMG "performance pack" fitted, limitid slip diif, bigger zr rated wheels/tyres, uprated brakes, suspension, etc. the split rim wheels and the new discs look awesome

"absolutely amazing"

amazing extertior, out of this world interior, i think i'm in heaven. i'm so glad i got rid of the TT, although I prefer its dsg gearbox. the automatic feels a bit slopp, but put you foot down and the sound of the V*, sounds like its just clearing its throat. I'm still running it in so haven't even seen the best yet.

Live the dream :)

blackbenzz 09-11-2005 01:19 PM

Congrats, you are driving one of my favorite benzes! Now get the renntech pulley and ECU!

Horsepower 09-13-2005 07:37 PM

Congratulations! welcome to the club...

herbiefrog 09-26-2005 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: herbiefrog

Hi guys, well I've had the Sl55 for a few days now, it also had the AMG "performance pack" fitted, limitid slip diif, bigger zr rated wheels/tyres, uprated brakes, suspension, etc. the split rim wheels and the new discs look awesome
Just managed to get a photo, thought i'd try to post it.

Should be able to let her loose soon :)

Herbie

[IMG]local://upfiles/7362/385C2BDF04D447628AFFECCADC3C01CD.jpg[/IMG]

afavorcaptain 11-15-2005 11:46 PM

wow, great car...front end and the wheels look just like the sl65 though..pondering?!?!?![sm=burnout.gif]

can drive 55 11-27-2005 01:48 AM

That 030 package rules.