General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Vito Intermittent Starting Problem !

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Default Vito Intermittent Starting Problem !

I have a 2004 111CDi Vito Long with 76K miles and have been experiencing intermittent starting problems for about a month.

In the morning it starts first time and I can invariably stop and start several times during the day without the problem. However, sometimes when I try to start the vehicle (normally within approx 20 minutes of turning it off), the engine will either turn over but not fire or, will turn over and fire but not start. In all cases, the engine turns over without a problem so I don't think it's the starter motor.

Invariably, if I wait from between 5 to 10 minutes (without attempting to start the vehicle) the vehicle will start first time but today it took half an hour (and many attempts) to get it started. Initially, I thought it could be the alarm but have since found out that the alarm system does not have an ignition cut-out.

I have taken the vehicle to a local garage and been told that it is an electrical problem that could take them hours to find (as it is intermittent) and so the best thing was to search the internet to see if I could find any information from Vito owners that have experienced similar problems.

So here I am, asking if anyone can please offer any advice that could possibly help solve this issue.

Thank you

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM

After my experiences today of start (not start) I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely related to how warm the engine is.

It's starts first time every time in the morning and I can quite happily start the engine as many times as I want until I actually drive somewhere and the engine gets warmer. Short journeys seem to be okay but anything over 10 minutes and the problem seems to start. I'm sure this is why, when it happens, I have to wait a period of time (for the engine to cool down to a certain temp) before it will start !

After approx 15 minute journey, I have to wait almost an hour before the engine will start again !

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Hi Technojunky, I've had this problem a few times already. Believe it or not, the culprit was the cam-sensor. If it was not, it would be very interesting to know, please post it.
Mac.SA.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by smlmgd
Hi Technojunky, I've had this problem a few times already. Believe it or not, the culprit was the cam-sensor. If it was not, it would be very interesting to know, please post it.
Mac.SA.
Thanks for the post smlmgd.

I changed the cam sensor the week after posting this thread and the problem was solved.