General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Time to change the oil on my 230slk

Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Question Time to change the oil on my 230slk

I bought this little beauty down in Houston Texas and drove it home. It now has about 3K miles since the last engine oil change showing on the sticker on the front windshield. The local Mercedes dealer told me to use 5-40 synthetic. I am planning on using Mobil 1 unless a lot of people scream no at me here, but I was told the oil filter is on the topside of the engine in a little black box. I only popped the hood 3 times just to check oil levels on the way up from Houston and haven't done any close scrutinizing on where everything is...so where abouts is the oil filter and will it take a special tool to take it out or is it just the normal spin on type filter..

Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 AM
Default Time to change the oil on my 230slk

Hey Firehog, I use to live their Houston and I sure do miss it. I just changed oil on my C230 and it's basically the same as my E320. I imagine your 230slk has the same engine as my C230. The oil filter is on top in the front of the engine on the drivers side under the plastic engine cover. Be careful opening the front half of the engine cover. The filter is a filter element that is located in the cylinder with the black plastic top. Mercedes says you need a special tool, but you can actually turn it by hand to loosen or use a strap type filter wrench if it's on too tight. Be sure to buy a new FLEECE type filter. Be sure to just loosen the top before draining the oil.

My car had two plastic skid plates under the car that had to be removed to get to the drain plug. A total of (10) 8mm small screw/bolts hold the two plates on. (not hard unless you are lying down doing this). My drain plug was on the drivers side and close to the frame.

I was a little shock to find that my C230 takes 8.5 quarts of oil. That's more than my E320 takes. If anyone thinks the MBZ book is wrong please post a message.

You can't go wrong with Mobil1. Some will say that Purple oil and Redline and others are better, but I've used Mobil 1 since 1983 and I've got a 280ZX with 240K miles and a 91 Volvo Turbo with 190K and a 94 BMW with 170K and they all still run like new. Just my Two cents. Hope some of this helps!

Last edited by harlestone; 06-01-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Smile Thanks, Harlestone, that helps out tremendously..

..butIi forgot to ask on the forum if you can go more miles with the synthetic than with regular oil. I don't know what Mercedes recommends, but when synthetics first came out they touted you could go 7K miles between oil changes to justify the added expense.

Not too sure what a "fleece" filter is, I just called up Autozone, told them the make and model and they said they had a filter to fit for $15 in stock. I will ask them if it is fleece type.

Thanks again, Ray