Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   STOP car is too low - 2003 E500 (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/stop-car-too-low-2003-e500-43693/)

HBJonny 07-22-2010 05:51 PM

STOP car is too low - 2003 E500

Good afternoon,

This is my 1st post and I am looking for a bit of advice.

I know this is quite common but I have looked for a description that matches mine and I have not found it.

My issue is that ONLY the left (Drivers side) of my suspension is lowered and sagging. The ride height button does nothing. I always ride with the cars suspension on tight. No apparent leaks and the same issue happened at 63K miles and it was repaired by the dealer under warranty (Pump)...I took it back there today and they said it was not covered...I am at 103K miles now with no warranty. Do you think it is the pump or something else? Again ONLY the left side of the car is lowered. Another thing...the light is not always on - intermitant.

FYI - I just got my front brakes done outside of the dealer and the initial ride height warning was displayed shortly after...Yesterday I put my 19" back on the car and the RED "Stop car is too low" light came on right after...

Let me know what you think and I really appreciate any feedback I can get.

chassis221 07-22-2010 05:53 PM

first guess would be a bad strut.

HBJonny 07-22-2010 06:14 PM

Thanks...I sure hope not. I was hoping it was one of the following.

1. Relay - not likely thought since it's only the left side
2. Leak of some sort
3. Loose wire due to the brake job or tire mounting.
4. Sensor
5. Auxilliary battery - That service light is on and has been for several months.
6. Pump - I think not likely since it's only the left side.

I am hoping for a cheap fix...

Thanks again.

waybomb 07-22-2010 06:23 PM

I don;t know anything about your system, but if the brake job was done just before this happened, I'd be jacking up the car, pulling that tire off, and looking for something the brake job person screwed up.

HBJonny 07-22-2010 07:06 PM

Okay...I just took off the left front and everything looked good to my un-trained eye. No loose connections, fluid or anything out of place. When I lowered the car from the jack the tire is now at the right height. I pushed the suspension button and the shock dampner button and nothing changed. I also pumped the brakes a few times and heard the compressor come on for about 5 seconds then cut off...No movement in the ride height. The left rear seems a tad lower than the right rear still...Any more thoughts? Don't want to get taken at the dealer.:D

waybomb 07-22-2010 07:12 PM

I wish I could help you. There must be some sort of linkage that goes to a ride height adjusting valve, like on the old SLS system. Connected to the lower control arm and tthe frame maybe. Maybe one of the linkages popped off?

Sorry.

HBJonny 07-23-2010 03:00 PM

Took my car to the Dealer today and this is what they said...I think I am being taken for a ride. And advice would be appreciated.

Hi John,

The car needs a pump and relay to start with . cost is around $ 810.00 plus tax and I could lower it to 710.00 plus tax , but there is a leak in the system that we can not diagnose until the pump is operational .
It may need a strut or ?? , until we replace the pump we can not go further with it ? please advise ASAP
Thanks

HBJonny 07-24-2010 12:36 PM

Okay...I picked up an auxilliary battery for $69.00 and changed it out last night...took about 15 minutes. The dealer wanted $370 for the service and Battery. When I 1st started the car the dash said there were no malfunctions then about 10 seconds later the Up Arrow with the picture of a car popped up...then shortly after the "Stop car is too low " popped up...Mind you when I take longer drives the message dissapears alltogether and I seem to have no ride issues and the car seems level. What do you think? Sensor, Pump and relay or strut?

Usually only the left side of the car is low...and I can hear the compressor for a few soconds then it shuts off...When I press the ride control and shock dampner the car does not move (While parked) the shock dampner works when the car is moving and changes the ride. Also, sometimes the left side is up and normal...

My assumption is that the sensor is faulty...if the pump was not working or the relay was bad it would not be working sometimes...

Also...this all started when I took my car in for front brakes...then I took it in a few days later to get my 19" re-mounted and as soon as I saw the car down off the jack I knew it was lower than it should be and when I drove out of the parking lot the "Stop car is too low" warning came on...

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

docbenz 07-26-2010 08:39 AM

same problem

i am having the same exact problem. can you provive a cell number for me to call you. i need to know what you did to fix the problem

HBJonny 07-26-2010 11:07 AM

I have not fixed the problem yet...but when I do I will advise on what was needed. You will find that there can be several different issues with this system...Could be a number of things from a simple disconnected wire, relay, pump, sensor, struts and so on. :confused: