General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Starter Help Badly Needed! - 1973 280 W114

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Exclamation Starter Help Badly Needed! - 1973 280 W114

Hi Everybody,
K.David is my Dad. I joined this forum for him because I know he will really like it here. I'm Jessie, his daughter. I bought him this car for Christmas. I really wanted to have it out front Christmas morning except I couldn't put the new starter in it. With the car jacked up, I can only see the lower of the two bolt holes. The lower bolt has been removed and I don’t know what to replace it with. I read that the bolt I can’t see requires a 10mm allen key but later read that it was 11mm. I was out in the freezing cold, alone, on the 24th until 11:45pm when I finally decided I couldn't figure it out on my own. I have replaced a couple starters in the past, but that top bolt that I can't see has me stuck. That's why I am asking for the forums help. After a lot of searching I am still unclear exactly what tools I will need to take along and how to go about removing it. I really hope someone can help me. I have to get the car out of there today so I am going over there in about an hour, hopefully with some instructions. If anyone is familiar with this job and could give me clear directions, a tools list - with the allen size (10mm or 11mm), and the type of replacement bolt I should get for the lower, visible bolt I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks to all that read this and especially anyone that can offer help!
Jessie

Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Jessie,
I do not have experience on the gasser, but the '83 300D, I recently replaced/rebuilt/reinstalled the starter. The allenhead bolts were 10mm, I believe. Absolutely get the heads clean, to facilitate the allen to fully engage the head of the bolt. Stripping one of these is not good. Another reason to be sure it is the correct size.
The top bolt on my diesel is very close to the firewall, and others use two swivel sockets with long extensions to access this bolt. I took another route by cutting an allen wrench and inserting the piece into the head of the bolt and put a offset box 10mm on the exposed allen. This took considerable effort and a length of 1 1/2 pipe over the box wrench to break this free. I also did this inside a garage with less taxing weather.
Also, I did have to remove the battery, tray, and a few other items to gain this access to the top bolt. It was otherwise almost out of site..
My point is to look at this with non standard approaches.
Good Luck,
Gary